Monday, February 3, 2020

7th Year - Running For Refugees in New Haven, Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services. Bigger and Better Every Every 365 Days

I think, this year, it was the Yale Gospel Choir singing The New Colussus at the opening of the Run for Refugees 5K race in New Haven that sparked the most emotion. This was my 7th year running, and it began with Kaitlyn Kelly. Now it has expanded to a wonderful team of students, staff, faculty and administrators from Fairfield University. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take the lead organizing this year, but others at Fairfield University stepped up, and we had a record-number of participants, as did the race on the whole. It was their biggest crowd yet, and it is imagined it will continue to grow. CT is only one state, but people are listening. They hear. They are looking to do good in the world.
The New Colossus (as on the Statue of Liberty)Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,With conquering limbs astride from land to land;Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall standA mighty woman with a torch, whose flameIs the imprisoned lightning, and her nameMother of Exiles. From her beacon-handGlows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes commandThe air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame."Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries sheWith silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Chris George, Director of IRIS, is a saint. When I contacted him Saturday afternoon to say that several of the Ubuntu Academy kids wanted to run this year, he simply said, "Of course, Crandall. Tell them to come to the VIP table when they arrive. We'll get them signed up."

They were signed up. They were thrilled. They loved every second of running in support of refugees and immigrant services, all in support of the American Dream. They are living it.

It was also Super Bowl Sunday, and I can't say that I was interested in either team, nor that I was going to watch, but there seems to be an American responsibility to at least try. I had papers to grade, books to read, grants to write, and reports to make. The game did what it does best - provided background noise (I'll catch up on the commercials and controversies later...I listened, but didn't watch much).

It's another Monday. The weekend was sort of packed and I need the morning to get ready for everything ahead, because I didn't do as much as I planned.

All will be well. I have faith. It's the hope I need to survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment