Saturday, February 8, 2020

Oh, Friday Night...If Only You Were Shoveling Snow in Syracuse. Instead, You're in CT Feeling Like a Lucky Son of a Butch

Sometimes I don't shower, but go to work anyway. Well, on Fridays...there's rarely anyone in anyways. I got up early, bundled in running clothes, and headed to crunch numbers and once again arm wrestle with Work Day. I'm glad I did, because a package arrived from an editing friend who sent me a few books that are due out next Fall. Reading the titles and authors, I was like, "Oh, Great. The pile of advanced books I've ordered for weekend reading now needs to be adjusted."

Holy cow. I can't believe how fantastic several young adult novels heading to press really are. I came home planning to immediately go for a run, but I sat in my Crandall chair and read until I fell asleep. I felt like I had a secret obligation to read the books as soon as I could (and to write the authors to give my review - THEY'RE AWESOME) (Of course, I also learned I got the advanced readers before they did. Oops).

It's all good. I know to count my blessings where I can. I'm a lucky son of a Butch which has been established on my blogs for several years. I just wish I could immediately start teaching these books, but I have to wait until at least spring semester, 2021. UGH!

On another note, I went to work yesterday with warm weather and left in cold weather, snow, and an actual February performance. I wonder if it will last.

But truth be told, it doesn't matter. I'm staying curled up with the piles of books that have been sent to me. I can't put them down and feel somewhat grateful that I get to settle into words now in a way that won't be available to others until this time next year. I think I have a responsibility to that (and I owe the Great Whatever everything I can do to deserve such luck).

Here's to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment