Sunday, February 9, 2020

Then There Is The Night When Crandall Decides He Wants To Learn How to Make Thai Mango Chicken, So He Does

I only had one fresh mango, so I used a cantaloupe as the 2nd. It's all good...I like to innovate. I put the fruit, spices, soy sauce, turmeric, garlic, etc. in a blender and made a sauce. It was sweet, so I added hot pepper and Sriracha. Then it was sweet and spicy.

I cut up the vegetables and stir-fired them with oil and spices, adding chicken to the mix, before I added the sauce.

Edem was on rice duty. No, it isn't essentializing of Togo-ese culture, it's just that anyone who has ever stayed with me has always said that I suck at making rice. I know I have gotten better, and the complaints are now rare, but I'm all for everyone contributing to the dinner.

He made brown rice and I read up on how it is bulkier, but not as healthy. Actually, it's healthier, too. The Internet goes gaga over that debate. Brown vs. white rice. Who cares? It's rice.

Then we added the sauce. I didn't know what to expect, because it was the first time attempting the dish.

Perfect. In fact, it tasted like Dao's Thai, which is what I was after, but didn't want to pay $20 a plate. So, I said, "Crandall, make it yourself."

I guess the day was productive: I built a website for the Northeast Consortium of National Writing Project sites, did groceries, ran, dropped off a birthday present to Dave and Kris's kid, walked the dog, read two books, and cooked a meal. I am okay with that. I followed with college basketball and (well) I hate Duke. They somehow always get everything in their favor.

Now it is the Lord's day of rest. I won't rest, but those who are lorded upon will. Instead, I need to read ahead for the week, plan out my classes, do some writing, and continue to hit the streets with my Sauconys.

Did I say how much I hate Duke basketball? I do.

So, I'll end this Sunday post with a photo of Glamis watching SU play Wake Forest.




No comments:

Post a Comment