Sunday, October 11, 2020

24 Hours Later, I Open William & Jessica's Gift (Phew). They Captured 7 Years of Ubuntu Academy in a Book & Gifted It to Me. I am Grateful.

Yesterday was something. Chitunga needed to get fingerprinted for work a.s.a.p., and all locations in Connecticut were backlogged for weeks so, being him, he searched high and low and found a location in Madison, New Jersey (2.5 hours there, 2.5 hours back)(traffic). We left early, and I simply was a passenger making him listen to Scythe until he couldn't take it any more. For those of you who don't live in the NYC vicinity, just know that maneuvering between the tri-states is costly because of bridges and tolls, and jam-packed with traffic because of population. For a while, Covid took away the insanity of I-95, but it is back. 

Ah, onto a happier note. 

Jessica and William handed me gifts Friday night before Ger arrived, but I put them to the side as the gathering took off quickly. Last night, however, I picked up the book they made for me (for Christmas, I was told, but they couldn't wait). They collected a chronicle of the past 7 years of Ubuntu Academy. It's so beautiful to know the love they put into the work they do, including this book

The three of us have stayed committed to what we know is right and best. It also kills us that anti-immigrant and refugee sentiments have risen again in the United States - ah, the Deatheaters hate the Muggles within the imaginary claim to superiority. Yet, it fuels us to work even harder. To love teaching even more. To do all we can to put resources into the communities that start with the least, but have the greatest drive of us all. 

Years ago, the three of us bonded over the joy that comes from working with immigrant and refugee families and we set out to build literacy support, not only during the summer but throughout the academic year. Quickly our community and its success grew.

This community has touched the lives of hundreds of teachers in schools all across Connecticut, and he lives of 1,000s of American-born and immigrant- and refugee-background youth who have come to our summer programs. Looking through the pages, the memories, the kids we've worked with, and the events we've hosted caused me to tear up. I've been made into a more beautiful human being because of these educators and students. My understanding of what it means to have strength, to appreciate hard work, and to live a life of integrity comes from this work (and I'm simply saddened for any and all who stand against  it - ignorance and stupidity are something else...we've always known this).

So now it is time to look ahead to year 8, now that Will & Jess found a way to motivate me even more. I am so grateful to have them in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment