Sunday, October 25, 2020

Murphy's Law, Every Time: If a Tooth is to Erupt, It Will Do So Over the Weekend, Beginning Friday Night

I've been moving right along, feeling productive, but woke up Friday morning thinking I must of been grinding my teeth in my sleep. There was a slight pain, but Ibuprofen took care of it, is I ignored it. By 6 p.m., it came back and I was like, "Oof. What is that?" I couldn't tell what tooth it was, as my entire jaw was throbbing, so I took more Ibuprofen. It was fine and I went to bed.

Then Saturday morning came, and I felt lightening bolts shooting on the entire right side of my mouth. At first I diagnosed it was a bottom row tooth, but then I swished around salt water (online remedy) and started playing Dentist with my tongue, figuring out which tooth it actually was. No effect pushing from the wide, but then when I bit down on a raisin (morning ritual...I need my Raisin Bran), I learned really quick which tooth it was (3rd molar). I jumped out of my chair. It was the tooth that was just given a new crown because the other one was cracked. 

The tooth responded to more Ibuprofen, and it worked to distract my brain...hiking for 6 miles, painting the upstairs hallway, reading, and doing some writing. It's winning, though. Now the top of my mouth has an ache and there are bolts shooting up to my right eye. 

Of course it's the weekend, and I called the dentist to say, "Yo," and knew they wouldn't be there. I hoped I could leave a message that I'd be there first thing Monday morning. There was an emergency number, but I decided I can suck it up for another day. 

This has happened before. A tooth rejects a crown, fights it, and creates havoc. I'm so used to these teeth issues, and have grown accustomed to surviving them on the weekends. 

It feels like a throbbing hangnail within the mouth...so annoying...just have to make it another day and hope they can take me on Monday.

And every time something like this happens, I flashback to 1995, when I had no insurance, and my wisdom teeth erupted. I thought I could fight it off, but the pain became so unbearable, I would pass out and get nauseous. I ended up having to go for an emergency procedure and, lo and behold, had to drive myself home. It was awful, but I recovered.

It's one of those times I understand why people remove their own teeth. That's not my style, but phew. No fun at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment