Friday, October 2, 2020

Although I Cherish Cycles, There's No Way to Capture a Harvest Moon on an I-Phone (but I Can End the Post with Eryka Badu

I was up and at 'em by 7 a.m. yesterday morning. I worked straight until 1 p.m. and came down to get lunch. Yes, my National Writing Project brothers and sisters, I submitted my October 15th site profile early (because I could and I needed it out of the way to focus on other work). For those who don't do our work, you'll understand why this is a tremendous big deal. National Writing Project site directors do no sleep. The work we do for K-12 educators and youth is endless, and muc goes unnoticed by traditional University and K-12 districts. Alas, it is what makes the magic happen. October is the time to report our work, and usually with classes, professional development, conferences, and advising, it is the labor  I do from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. on the weekends. This year, however, on sabbatical, I had time to get it done earlier. And during the day. When I even had time to put in a 5-mile hike. It is so awesome to be free from the other burdens.

Last night was the Harvest moon, too. I like our tradition to go to the Long Island Sound on Walnut Beach whenever there's a full moon, and last night was no different, although it was October's full one, and the sky was pretty clear. It was stunning, as I expected, yet there's no way to capture how incredible it really is/was with a photo. It is so much more beautiful to the naked eye...and I suppose my rat-like tendency wants more. I can horde, can't I?

I can't. 

Let's just say that I am thankful to live where I do, as I do, so I can see such beautiful cycles of nature on a regular basis. 

Which reminded me of Eryka Badu and her song "Orange Moon" from so many blue moons ago. I loved the album it came from and her song, so I will lead this TGIF with her. Such a beautiful voice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment