Thursday, October 29, 2020

#EveryDayIWrite and Today I Write with @WOLSyracuse with Special Guest @jetchez (What a Prompt! Phew!).

This morning, Thursday, I'm responding to Writing Our Lives - Syracuse's 3rd prompt (I LOVE my Syracuse Family). What is weighing heavy on my shoulders? Write someone a letter about it. What a prompt to kick off my day, but I'll give it a shot before I move on to the other tasks on the docket!!!

Dear You,

I'm writing because Charlie said you'd listen, and I tend to trust wallflowers more than I trust other people. They sit back, observe, think deeply, and listen before they act which has always intrigued me. They are the ol' still waters run deep people, and I try to channel them from time to time. I missed out on such a gene, and somehow found myself with Jim Carey, Robin Williams, and Willy Wonka tendencies. That is, at least, my out-of-house persona. Those who know me best, however, realize I hide inside a lot (in order to get things done) and can go days, if not months, without talking to people. I sort of have this introverted extrovert persona mastered. Truth is, if one is always performing and tap-dancing before others, they can't sit at home reading everything they can get their hands on. That is another confession I should share. I geek out a lot with books, and because of our current political situation, I find I am reading more and more, especially when I see that information that goes 100% against what has already been reported as true. I scratch my head thinking, "Where is this coming from? Don't people do research?" Then I go back to check the facts as reliable resources have reported them. I can't help the fact that they are choosing foolishness over the scientists, scholars, historians, economists, teachers, and journalists who have devoted their lives to their professions. Ah, humanity.

There's enough research out there to rely on. My recommendation is to begin there. Everyone can have their conspiracies and wild thinking (shoot, I still hope to be abducted by aliens one day), but at some point they must sift through information, process it, and seek the rationality I hope they have inside of them. I've been around too many irrational people throughout my life. Sorry, but they're bonkers.

Of course, then, I have to check my privileges, too. Only 6.7% of the world's population has a college degree (it fluctuates up and down). 25% of American high school kids drop out, and of those who remain 66-88% go on to two-year and 4-year colleges (different locations report different numbers, because schools often fib so they look better in the rankings). Of that population, 40% drops out. Even further, only 2% of all Americans have a doctorate. I'm constantly checking these numbers to keep myself honest (YOU DON'T THINK LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD, CRANDALL. GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF), because it is very easy for me to get lost in my own thoughts, thinking that everyone lives their day-to-day just like me. They don't. They seek information that aligns with their world-view (59% of the globe can do this online because they has access to Internet information - note: that is WAY up over the last few years. I remember when it was just 7%).

Then there's the reality that 79.5 million people were displaced from their homes as refugees in 2019 and we have to keep that in check with Covid-19 realities, where the U.S. alone has had almost one hundred and seventeen 9/11s (I remember heavily what that September was like). And if you like numbers, sometimes it is interesting to calculate how many people have died in wars so that a blog posting like this can occur.

That's not what I'm writing about, however. I'm writing to young people, particularly those who just started college and who are about to start college. I'm simply sorry for everything being handed to you. As I approach 50, I'm shaking my head in disbelief, too. You would think adults would have some of this stuff figured out, but I think you can easily see they do not. To be honest, many amazing, great, and phenomenal people have tried - and their efforts are the giants whose shoulders the rest of us stand upon. The trickier thing is to fight against all the gnats and mosquitos who are tiny and annoying, but congregate as armies, and work diligently to impede any good in the world (all while feeling they are awesome beings: Hey, I'm a gnat. I'm suppose to be gnat-like. Everything I do and say is right because I'm a gnat, and I only know gnat things). There are way more of them, gnats and mosquitos, than giants whose shoulders we can stand upon, and sometimes I think it is impossible to battle them. So many fight hard for the equity, diversity, and democracy in the United States, yet there are even more work overtime to make you believe they believe in that, but they do not. That game is for you to figure out. Watch their actions. Actions always speak louder than words.

Lately, I've been nostalgic, especially for my time from age 16 - 22. My generation (graduates of the Class of 1990) had a completely different world than what exists now (and let me counter this claim - that is a lie. We were privileged, lucky, spoiled, and fortunate. We benefited from the Greatest generation, our grandparents, and the decisions made by our Baby Booming parents. Ah, but What is the 4th of July to a Slave? Our enjoyment of a time period was not the same experience for others. We were taught that we deserved this. NOPE. We lucked out, and it should be our responsibility that others have a chance to LUCK OUT, too).

In my case, I lived in a suburban area outside the City of Syracuse where working class people made just enough money to send their kids, if they chose - most of us 1st generation college kids - to higher education. Even then that was hard, especially as State scholarships disappeared. But that was the dream. That was a possibility. Distant relatives immigrated. They worked hard in difficult jobs. They saved. They provided. We benefited. This, though, needs to be placed in consideration of what Ogbu wrote as voluntary migrants, "I want to live in America," versus involuntary migrants...visit the Civil Rights Trail if you want to learn the reality and truth of that history.

Alas, tuition then was almost $7,000 a year. As a result, working part-time and, sometimes, full-time, made it affordable to finish a 4-year degree with no loans. I don't even know what the world of today looks like as kids graduate with mortgage payments for their education. That's just wrong. Even my own son, who benefited from tuition exchange because I'm an educator in higher education, had to pay more for housing while away than I did for my entire education. It's ludicrous. It's also insane. And, I benefited from it. I bite at the hand that feeds me (and him, to be honest). Education should be a right...now an unattainable opportunity because it costs each year more than what most families make. That system is truly broken.

But I'm also thinking about how important (transitional) those four years of my life were. I want every human being upon this planet to have an opportunity like I had to study, read, explore, think, understand, know, and grow. In particular, the semester I studied in London under the guidance of Dr. Carol Boyce Davies in a program called Literature of Exile and the Black British Experience changed my life for the better. Her influence on my thinking, my global understanding, and my privileges have been with me my entire life. Her intelligence and leadership coupled with my youth and curiosity, made for a remarkable experience (and awakening). The work transcended that program, and I was lucky to be mentored by her for several semesters after. The privileges continued, too, because at age 19 I learned how drastically different my worldview was, given the education I got in upstate NY. Yes, I had a view and believed in education, but that view was narrow and only partial. There is so much more out there. Sadly, I'm afraid that too many make it through with college degrees never having such luck in their education. They learn, but they don't LEARN.

I remember when I graduated high school, my boss at my job bought me a copy of Oh, The Places You Will Go by Dr. Seuss (there's a lot written about Theodore Geisel to squash my joy of this moment in time, but that is for you to find out). At the time, I thought it was a silly gift for a high school student, but it also impressed me. There was encouragement for growth, change, and movement. 

Growth, change, and movement. Should that be an educational mantra.

"Hey, kid. Welcome to my class. My goal for you is that you will grow, change for the better, and make movement so that others benefit from the knowledge you've gained," says Dr. Crandall.

Now, I see that I've gone places, and I'm lucky.

And places have come to me. I chose teaching as an occupation and have been gifted to work with kids from all over the world and with multiple perspectives in learning environments that were a dream. It's easy for me to see that here, however, is not there. It's also easy for me to see (and question, and wonder, and explore, and read about, and challenge) all the crazy nonsense that others spew. I realize, "Dang, Crandall. Now it is your generation throwing the garbage forward. And they actually believe the shit coming from their mouths."

Phew. Truth. 

Getting older doesn't make it easier. Rather, the issues remain more and more complicated. It's just that, as you age, you gain access to better defense mechanisms....that is, if you're privileged enough to have a home, to be enrolled in a school, to have groceries in your fridge, to read books from your shelves, to have access vehicles to travel, etc. That is not a global norm. That must be remembered. We have a responsibility to that.

There used to be a saying, "It's going to get better."

I still believe it will. 

I have faith in the Great Whatever, and right now the generations before you are failing you.  Shame on them, shame on me, and shame on all of us. You deserve better and as long as I can, I will do everything to fight for your chance in the world. A majority will fight me every step of the way, but I hope that you know  good humans exist. Many will work hard so that you believe they are good and should be trusted. Pay attention to what they stand for - watch their actions. The actions will tell you everything.

Just keep your eyes open. Question the world. Read as much as you can. Observe human behavior. Watch.And work your ass off. That is something no one can ever take from you. Own your knowledge and when something triggers your emotions, move yourself into them. Living with love at your side can be one of the most phenomenal weapons that can be carried. Hate is more common and ,most use it in sheep's clothing to look like love.

Just be cautious. Write everyday. Find the truth that makes you a better person.

Sincerely,

Bryan




No comments:

Post a Comment