Thursday, April 2, 2020

Absolutely Cherish My National Writing Project People and Am So Thankful for Who They Are To Me

On the 12th hour of the day, yesterday, I was summoned to a National Writing Project check-in call, which (ta-da) was the most magical moment of the day. Over 120 individuals - teacher leaders - called in from across the nation to learn about National Poetry Month initiatives, potential pedagogy, and summer possibilities heading our way in a time where the nation is in need of the greatest teacher network that exists.

Wola! How did we start? We started with a read-in from Tanya Baker, then a Tom Fox call, "Now we must write."

I didn't know how to respond 'write' away, but then found myself penning the words that are to the right.

I want to remember you...
yes, you...who have been so true,
& doing this magic as you magically do, 
investing in us, our NWP crew.
Phew!
So, beautiful to know we'll make it through.

and, I had to continue with my Ubuntu theme, 

I am, because we are.
Togetherness matters, not so bizarre...

reaching to friendship from across the screen.
NWP is stupendous. You know what I mean?

Apologies that I couldn't make the spacing work for this blog. Seriously, though, Since 2001, the National Writing Project family has been the center of my universe. I was lucky to participate in Jean Wolph's Louisville Writing Project at the time. As a graduate student, too, I did work for Marjorie Kaiser, and have been enveloped by the mission even before I became a classroom teacher. It is, and will remain, the best professional development I ever experienced as a K-12 teacher. 

It is an honor to lead a site on my own, today. 

It is April, and National Poetry Month. The call we received last night was to be innovative, spectacular, wonderful, and intuitive. We know what is best for our kids, and we definitely know what is best for our teachers.

Inhale. Exhale. We got this. It's time to show the nation what we're about. I'm looking forward to working hard in the National Writing Project tradition and, when the time comes, not returning to normal...

...but returning to a better nation for teachers and students that we begin creating right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment