Friday, April 10, 2020

"Yes, We'll Be Home. You're Delivering What? Okay. Okay. We'll Leave Cash on the Front Porch"

I received the call earlier in the week.

"Crandall," the voice said. "We're at Costco in Shelton and they have TP. I repeat. They have TP."

That's when I texted back my trepidation because I already have TP in the house, but I'm not sure how long it will last. I've never paid much attention. It seems there's always enough. I have both bathrooms stocked, but began to bite my nails. Maybe I needed more, just in case. May I truly needed to be like the other Americans.

"Buy it," I wrote. "Deliver it when you can."

A week later I received the ivory gold, "Crandall. We need to get out of our house. We thought it might be nice to drive to Stratford, just to see something new."

"But it's pouring rain and windy out there."

"WE NEED TO GET OUT OF OUR HOUSE. JUST LET US DO THE DELIVERY OR WE ARE GOING TO KILL EACH OTHER."

Okay, I thought. These are the times we live in. We need to be there for one another.

So, I got a $20, found a plastic sandwich bag, stashed the money in the sandwich bag, and sprayed it with Lysol to leave on the front porch. 45 minutes later I heard a car pull up...by then the rain subsided...and I yelled out my 2nd floor window, "I'd come down, but we need to be socially distant."

They understood.

Leaving, however, one said, "That sandwich bag is all wet and it smells like Lilacs".

"Lysol," I reported. "Last I have of it. Got it pre-Covid-19. Hope you don't mind."

You can see the happiness on Edem and Glamis's faces that there was actually a visitor. Chitunga was on his computer studying when it all went down.

We are good for a few months, I believe...although I feel I have to pay more attention to our consumption. It seriously has been an issue (well, tissue) that I haven't paid much attention to in my life. Chitunga reported, however, that Target is also stocked. I just haven't thought of that being an essential store, so have not gone.

TGIF. CT K-12 schools announced they are out, today, until at least May 20th. Phew. Ready for humanity to overcome this period of our existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment