Saturday, April 18, 2020

Murphy's law # 4235.23: If Crandall is Responsible to Oversee an Important ZOOM Call, The Road Repair Will Come

I've been working from my second floor, where the quiet serenity of Mt. Pleasant is a blessing and where tranquility rides in tandem with home-stay and birds chirping as the nests are being built in the rafters underneath my roof.

That is, of course, until I'm responsible for chairing an important meeting where my job is to remind everyone that they should be online with mute hit, and the most professional respect that can be mustered in digital spaces.

Why wouldn't a road crew come out of nowhere and decide it's the perfect time to chisel out a piece of pavement right outside my window as I begin the important conversation?

Drill Drill Drill Drill. Crash. Honk Honk. Drill Drill Drill Kaboom. Zonk.

"Hey, guys. Look at that dog in the window."

This happened as I'm apologizing online narrating the seconds as they play out.

"There's a road crew walking up my driveway to take pictures of Glamis who is sunbathing in my window."

I wasn't making this up.

That was a highlight of my Friday of digital conferencing and while I was doing my best to maintain composure and keeping the integrity of the profession on the table.

"Holy fucking shit, guys. We need to clean this shit up."

Reality.

"I apologize to all if you're hearing any of this," I say, closing my windows. "Apparently now is the right time for construction on Mt. Pleasant."

Here's to the crazy, the joy, the insanity, and the inevitable. I was thankful, later on, when Chitunga volunteered to go get Thai food for dinner and to support our local economy.

As the ZOOM call ended, the trucks left. That's just the way it has always been and will always be.

I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment