Monday, April 27, 2020

It's Monday, Y'all. Day 47 of the Quarantine. & on the 46th Day, I Took a Break From Writing and Got Drenched

This is what happens when you don't take advantage of the 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. period on a Sunday when it is not raining. I need my coffee folks, and I've never been a rise and shine runner. Instead, I'm a late morning, early afternoon runner who needs caffeine and Raisin Bran to kick in.

Yet, yesterday I locked myself to my desk until 3 p.m., promising myself I'd get more on top of a writing project. At 3, I looked at the clock and said, "You need to take a break and get something to eat." I decided to drop a book off at my friend's house in Fairfield, then decided to get gas and come home and cook dinner - a delicious beans, vegetables, mushroom, beef dish with a coconut curry sauce. As a variation of the Crandall special, it only took seconds to make. I also made a batch of Brownies (warm fuzzies for the boys, because if they weren't here, I would never do shit like that).

At 5 p.m., I said, "Look. It's not raining," and grabbed Glamis, my Ibram X. Kendri audio book, and a rain jacket and announced, "We're heading out for a book walk. Will be home in an hour."

Twenty minutes out, it became a downpour. I was lucky, because I had my rain slicker on, but Glamis was drenched....so much so that it took two towels to dry her off.

By six, I was back at my desk writing. Actually, I was putting jewelry onto my piece by creating tables that would help me to cut several pages in a summative form. Phew. There's an art to table-making and even that takes much longer that one plans. Either way, I completed two for the project, and only have one more to go.

It's Monday, and the downpour yesterday was symbolism for it. Today, the meetings are back (I actually celebrated the fact that I didn't have one ZOOM obligation on Sunday...not one), and we close out Action Research with a night of presentations. Until then, I'm committed to back to back conference calls. Oh, glorious day.

But I also have gratitude for Kelly Chandler Olcott who invited me into a writing accountability group of 30 minutes a day over the the next month (and I can't count my blog. She didn't tell me that, I'm telling myself)(and Saturday & Sunday already brought me to 16 hours for the weekend). We got to write when can, otherwise it never gets done.

Here's to sunnier days expected later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment