Thursday, April 16, 2020

Loving the Purple Lawns in CT Right Now as Early Spring Reminds Us There's Hope (a Potential Rebirth)

One of the perks of social distancing is the numerous walks Glamis gets each day (well, I only walk her once, and Edem walks her, and Chitunga walks her), and on her 2nd walk yesterday (my walk), she and I went 4 miles out of our way just to think, exercise, and (for her), attempt to pee on every blade of grass.

Right now across Connecticut lawns there's this incredible spread of purple flowers about two inches in height. When you look closer, you realize they are tall stacks of purple and blue bells. I've noticed them for years in CT, but never stopped to ask myself, "What are these?"

The blooms don't last long, just a couple of days, but on our walk yesterday they were bursting across yards and fields. It was quite beautiful, and with lighting as it was I said, "Take a picture Crandall and do your research later."

It turns out they are Mascara Armeniacum, otherwise known as grape hyacinth. They're native in Asia and Europe, and I'm guessing were brought to CT where they've spread. When I crouched down to get the photo, I imagine that a family of gnomes might run out and bop me on the nose. They really are tiny flowers, and so vibrant.

I guess I needed such life today, especially as I learned of losses too close to home. As much as I am trying to ignore the reality and news, the truth settles in and creeps closer. I'm thinking of these little grape bells and hoping they will ring for those most affected by the way this ugly virus works. I simply hope that all my friends, especially those with asthma, and those with elders, stay safe and protected.

The goal is to spare lives. Not to lose more.

In my utopia, generations of tomorrow will be able to walk into purple scenes like this. The more we adhere to science, the better off we will be.

Ah, but we're humans. Some of us can only watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment