Monday, April 6, 2020

Cast Away to an Island, but They Came Back for Me, Before I Invented The Wafflin' Mt. Pleasant, an Egg Sandwich

I promised myself I wouldn't ZOOM in to my Improv group this weekend (it's like AA for idiots), but I couldn't help myself. The 30-minute exercises are too silly for me to pass up, so with one hand pulling the 'hit' finger from the keyboard (quite a struggle), I finally signed in. I was grading and thought I shouldn't have  the distraction.

I was right. I shouldn't have had the distraction, because it was hard for me to focus from that point on.

Actually, it was a good thing I signed in because it was just me and the three founding fathers (well mothers, well, parents or siblings or something like that).

I had this vision while running, that there could be a possible ZOOM game where one person hosts a ZOOM session and, one by one, everyone introduces who they are to the host, reminding him or her of how they met....Sort of like a reunion of people you've never met, telling you that you have INDEED met. I pitched that as a game, and we quickly adapted it as a guessing game, like "Who's at the Part." Rather than walking around a room, I was locked away in a ZOOM room all by myself, while the others established a location, an item, and an action for me to guess in our reunion.

Well, first of all, I didn't think they'd come back to me, but they did, and it took me almost 20 minutes to guess them all: skunk racing on a tennis court, making  head molds, and paving the Nascar course.
Phew! You can understand why I had that look on my face when left alone.

It wasn't quite the game I thought up, but it was still fun. A huge challenge.

After being inane for a bit, I decided I couldn't focus on the University work so went for a super duper long walk with Glamis. For lunch, I made a wafflin' Mt. Pleasant, which was an omelet served between two waffles that were served as a sandwich. The only bagels I had were cinnamon raisin and I thought that would be gross.

I also should say that after watching me perfect the Thai Mango sauce and Chitunga's Cuban Rice and Beans recipe, Edem gave a shot with a shrimp dish on Saturday that night that came out exceptionally good. Not only was it colorful and festive to look at, but the flavors were outstanding.

Alas, I did the count today and the earliest we are getting out of this is four more weeks. I underestimated the length this would take and the mind games that happen on a day to day basis. I have realized that if I don't let myself process the reality during the day as it is happening, then it really @$@#s up my dreams. I'm not the only one reporting this. I typically dream, but they're never as vivid, detailed, and poignant as the ones I've been having lately. They are murder mysteries, psy-fi intergalactic war stories, scavenger hunts, and incredible, almost-believable animation with complicated story lines. If it wasn't for my mid-life bladder, some of them might get extremely serious.

I wake up thinking, "It's just Covid-19, Crandall. You don't have it. Heaven knows you didn't take acid before you went to bed."

But sometimes I wonder.

Speaking of...just want to point out that there is nothing more precious that watching your dog get sick of you, running to another room, and curling up into the tightest fetal position possible, having dreams of her own. She makes herself look like a little fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment