Thursday, June 18, 2020

A Day of Fingersnaps, Arrivals, Smiles, Productivity & Direction. Not Bad for a Humpday.

I was writing. I mean, I was really writing. And I was making progress, too, when UPS pulled up (Oh, when that Wells Fargo Wagon comes ah, riding down the street)) and two guys pulled out a push-cart I knew my books arrived. Yes, I'm a National Writing Project director who orders 200 copies of Nic Stone's Shuri, a Black Panther Marvel series published by Scholastic because (a) I read an ARC and loved it, (b) know this book is going to do much for middle school readers and Marvel lovers, (c) I mean, it's Nic Stone, and (d) I wanted a shared reading for teachers and kids this summer with older CWP literacy labs.

I loaded all 200 books into my house with a smile (and Hey, nice purple font, Scholastic. I like that move).

Meanwhile, I uploaded new writing and charts towards a collaborative project I'm working on and I managed to live through 4 hours of ZOOM conferences with teacher researchers in my graduate course. I have to say, as we head into the 4th and final week of this speedy-rendition, they are doing amazing work in a very short amount of time. I'm also wondering if is succeeding because I'm really teaching it as a teacher writer. I've planned everything backwards, balanced out the parts, expected things on quick due dates, and guided the process. I am in awe of what they are accomplishing, but I've also lucked out with good minds and good writers. They're driven to make it easier.

Who'd of thought a research methodology course could be taught in 4 weeks during a pandemic? Each and every session has proved fruitful and, once again, I'm intrigued to continue teaching in hybrid spaces for some time. I know many of my colleagues across the nation have been been doing this for some time and have no desire to go back to traditional classrooms.

As for today, Chitunga to the dentist, Crandall to online meetings, conference calls, and a new YA book launch. In truth, however, I simply want to reread Shuri and return to my own writing projects. Yesterday, I felt like I was on a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment