Sunday, June 21, 2020

Before and After Covid-19 Head. Finally Saw Jerry at Fade Factory. One Step Towards Normal at a Time

It's Father's Day, and Mom said she wanted to see the haircut I got on Friday night from Jerry at Fade Factory in Stratford. Well, here's the before and after, although I should admit that the top is still long (I just have it pulled back after the shower). I wanted to keep the length on the top so I can do hipster-wanna-be shit from time to time (perhaps a pre-cursor to the midlife crisis as I long to my 20s when I had postern-modern hippie tendencies).

I actually took a picture each day for 120 days to chronicle the hair growth, simply because I wanted to see what would happen. I don't mind looking like Kramer...I just hate hair on the back of my neck and around my ears. I can still get the wave atop if I let bed head win the day, but I don't have as much thickness to create the fire-pit look.

The goal for yesterday was to kayak, but I failed. I worked on a writing project until noon, went for a run, then while cooling off began another writing project. I had a little Csikszentmihalyi flow theory going on because at 6:30 I looked up and thought, "Fudge. I missed high tide again." So I went to Walnut Beach for a walk, and had a couple socially distanced beer with friends. It was nice to talk outside of the conversations that have been going on in my head these last few weeks.

But, I'm back at it again today. I need to inhale, focus, and target grant reports, budgets, CWP-summer, the finishing of a Grad research course, and more chisel work on a writing project I'm growing proud of. The 2nd one has to be kept hushed for another year or so (seems like there will be a lot of this in the upcoming months)

I am glad, however, to have the sides and back shaved down some. Jerry is a master with the blade. We talked much about what happened to his business since March, and he's looking at the predictions and reality, and thinking the worst is still to come. He and his wife have already discussed options for when, and if, that time comes.

I love that guy, left him a good tip, and said, "If we go through this again, let me write you a check to cover a year's worth of cuts. You know that the boys and I are always in here. We felt naked not being able to visit every couple of weeks."

Phew. Praying for better. That's all I got. Happy Father's Day to all the men out there (and mothers) who parent the young people in their lives (I know in many households women hold down both roles and I see you....so do the kids). 

No comments:

Post a Comment