Sunday, June 14, 2020

I Apologize for the Man-Nub - It's an Alternative to Tying Things Around My Head To Keep My Thoughts In As I Write

I did as promised, yesterday. I buckled down, focused, and kept the ram-horns moving ahead, and accomplished 50% of the writing goal I had for this weekend. I was side-tracked a little when I thought of a visual to create that would save me a lot of space in a chapter that is already limited for text. Rather that paragraphing it out, I simply tabled it and turned it another chunk into a digestible image. I can be self-disciplined when I need to be (he types knowing he's a fat-ass runner who ate a cookie for dinner and drank a bourbon before he headed to bed).

The hair was falling in my eyes as I wrote, so I pulled it back with the only hair tie I could find. I've always been a better writer when I tie something around my head to symbolically keep in my thoughts, but I found the nub-head worked just as well. The back is not long enough yet to reach pony tail status, and I'm wondering if I will have the patience to try such foolishness again. Although my barber opened back up with limited appointments, I'm not quite ready to leap back into that world again. Grocery stores are enough. People are gross.

One thing I've learned from being on home-stay since the 2nd week of March is that I can survive without much need to interact with others. It pays off that Edem and Chitunga are here and distract me when necessary (funny story: Chitunga's friend is dating one of my students from last year. When he met her she asked what it was like living with Dr. Crandall. He responded, "It's like living with myself. He does his own thing, and I do my own. We basically both work all the time. We occasionally touch base) 

Chitunga is still working overnight, so when I retire from working at 10 pm, Edem and I have been watching All American on Netflix. I can't tell if it is in the Beverly Hills 90210 genre, The Blind Side tradition or a little Finding Forrester meets Friday Night Lights . It's a bit grandiose and over the top at times, but the performances are good and the writing somewhat intriguing. 

And Taye Diggs is the father in the story - the coach. I still want to know why he began following me on Twitter a few years ago. It was in the first weeks I got an account, and he was one of the first ones to follow. I actually forgot all about that until Edem suggested we watch the show. At the time I was like, "huh?" and even now, I'm like, "what?".

Okay, Sunday - you are spending 1/3 finishing the writing project, another 1/3 reading/planning for Monday's class, and another 1/3 doing something that isn't work-related. That is the goal for this day of rest....to partially rest...at least somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment