Monday, June 15, 2020

Well, Glamis. It's Monday Again. Give Crandall a B+ for the Weekend. He Did His Best

The brain crashed at 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Satisfied with the two-day writing marathon, I realized I wasn't going to be able to transition to planning for tonight's class, so I went for a long walk and came back with a headache. This headache craved mindlessness, and I know it was caused from exhaustion, more than anything else. The 7-day a week marathon for the last few months cannot be sustained. This head needs some off-time now and again. So from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Glamis and I watched All American while texting Nadia Craft in Los Angelas who was watching, too. Netflix blitz.

Love that girl. Class of '98, still doing great.

The trouble was that I use Chitunga's account and he was upstairs watching Netflix, too. I kept getting booted off the show, having to wait for the streaming to buffer again - 'there are too many devices using this account at this time.' Okay, Netflix. Too many is two. I did get the mindlessness I crave.

Carol is out front working on the front porch, measuring every angle and thinking out loud in both English and Polish. Glamis is out back lying in the sun...day 3 of perfect summer weather (it's so great when there is no humidity). Edem and Chitunga are still sleeping, and I'm heading back upstairs to the office to prepare for tonight's graduate class. They are sending me literature reviews, so I know what I'll be doing all day today and tomorrow.

But I'm going back to Carol. He is clever, measured, precise, and paced. Every week day he comes to the house at 7 a.m. and works until 3 p.m. - We see progress over and over, and people who walk by the house see the same, often commenting on it to him. I've decided that is sort of how we need to be on our writing projects. Not the sprint that I've taken the last 48 hours, but the marathon....slow and steady wins the race.

Ram-mode is a great metaphor, but it isn't necessarily the greatest way to live life on a weekend. Even so, every now and again Mario needs to become Super Mario in order to the win the game. That's what I did, even if it did give me a tremendous headache. Not much has changed in my life - I've always been this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment