Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Situated and Content. Well, The Laundry Room, Anyway. I'm Just Hanging On

In the 24 hours before a new blog post, I imagine myself writing 1,000 things for the next morning, usually with incredible political incite, rage, disappointment, research, and brilliance. Alas, at the end of each day, and in the morning, I'm too exhausted from my other writing routines to go in that direction. I need my blog-space to be my unwinding space...where I reflect on the mundane, the simple, the overlooked, and the trite.

New dresser in the laundry room. Drawers full of towels. Finally hitting the beach look that I've envisioned for the 2nd floor of Mt. Pleasant.

That's it. That's the post. Just an observation that it has happened. 5 years later. Thanks, Pam, for the castaway.

Meanwhile, I reviewed two research articles, graded 14-hours of literature reviews, attended a phenomenal NCTE gathering featuring Tonya Perry, and hosted another THE WRITE TIME which was debuted on Facebook live. At 11 p.m., I also had a beer, which I didn't deserve, but told myself I did.

Also got a run in, and bought another 3 weeks of groceries. I live by science and not the whims and fancies of politicians and selfish Americans. I don't want to be contained at home; I just don't want to  be responsible for being the one that spreads anything to others. When the advice given is so doable and logical, I adhere....pain in the ass, but not agony. I heard from my friends in Texas and Florida today. They're running out of hospital beds, as predicted months ago. News channels are scaring them (well, that's what they do). Numbers rising fast.

This isn't scary if people simply listened. Alas, I imagine they're doing something else, because that 's what Americans do. Well some of them...My household is content and happy to be home (and fortunate we can be). The grocery store was still devoid of all the products I'd like to have, but it wasn't a wash. We're set for a while. It does look, however, as CT is opening back up. We shall see.

As for Fall reopening, and collegiate realities? Well, higher education has needed a wake-up call for some time. I wish I could say high salaries were the reason for the cost, but that's not true for faculty (who in CT are often paid less that public school teachers). Yup...they done turned it into mini-businesses with too many executives on top, and started catering the college experience as if it is supposed to be a luxury hotel for undergrads. So many amenities. The kids lose...as they have a mortgage payment upon graduation.

Higher Education. Phew. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Laundry and dry cleaning pick-Up and delivery service in seattle WA

    ReplyDelete