Friday, June 12, 2020

Live from UNLV - The YA Lit Summit (& Online Vegas Style) - Congratulations to All Who Made the Event Possible via ZOOM

True story. I have wanted to continue the tradition of the YA Lit Summit hosted by Dr. Steven Bickmore (and loved attending in the first years when at Louisiana State University), but the June date never worked with CWP-Fairfield's super-summer programs. For two years, I nurtured my love for YA books at the summit, but realized my pace wasn't sustainable. So, I kept up with my YA Lit people online and through NCTE while maintaining the loyalty to NWP.

For me, the home-stay, social distancing has allowed for me to once again attend Bickmore's party. He and his team held the entire program online via ZOOM sessions and break-out rooms and it was stupendous. I was registered some of my favorite teachers and graduate students, and they've all reached out with appreciation and applause. Day one, attendees got hear from Steve, Ashley Boyd, Crag Hill, Paula Greathouse, Alan Brown, Matt de la Peña, Jim Blasingame, Rebecca Chatham, Morgan Jackson, Candace Flemin, Jenny Paulsen, Amy Piotrowski, Sharon Kane, Alice Hays, Katie Sluiter, Shelley Martin-Young, Josh Allen Samantha Vitatle, Candace Fleming, Kia Jane Richmond, Louise Freeman, Ritu Radhakrishnan, Jen Nails, Trisha Barba, Malleli Machuca, and Chris Crowe!

Quick Love Fest - Chris Crowe is simply a beautiful man. His writing, his advocacy, his vision, his historical knowledge, and his soul. I just need to take this moment and give him a round of applause. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause.

Today, the knowledge continues with "Joy is an Act of Resistance" starring Stephanie Toliver, Kekla Magoon and Sophia Sarigianides (huge heart to all three). We will also meet with Steven Sheinkin, land earn with Ashley Boyd, Janine Darragh, Derek Riddle, Amanda Melilli, Beckie Maldonado, Sarah Donovan, the Bickmore father/son door, Waverly Whisenant, Alison van Norman, Connor Warner, Nora Peterman, Kimberly Jones, Gilly Segal, Amy Piotrowski, Rick Williams, Cindy Koudelke, Julie Hoffman, Diana Scrofano, Kia Jane Richmond, Stacy Graber, Jackie Mercer, Mandy Luszeck, Darby Simpson, Kristina Bybee, Jennifer Ansbach, Scott Glabb, and Ashley Hope Pérez.

Phew. Susan James, I hope you're ready for this.

All this from an upstairs office (aka bedroom)(aka shifted work space)(aka home) in a pair of shorts and a semi-presentable upper-half. It's wonderful to see so many friends, to be engaged as we are, and to see that this can happen - it is possible.

It also has me thinking about the exclusivity of traditional conferences, too, especially in regard to the lack of budgets for teacher travel and professional development. As a field, we should seek ways to continue bringing such work to the communities that have never been afforded such opportunities. It's possible.

From the laptop of my home, I'm getting all this expertise.

And I thank all who presented and organized these two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment