Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Back to Teaching, But With Total Appreciation for Chitunga and Edem Who Are Finding Hope During These Times

Chitunga, surveying the backyard from his upstairs window, made a suggestion, "I think it would be smart to landscape the backyard a little more so that we have something good to look at while we're at home." After listening more, he suggested different annuals and perennials, so I took him up on it. We went to a local nursery and I let him pick out what he thought would be aesthetically pleasing for the home. We are benefiting from clearer skies, birds seeming louder, and the everyday changes that occur from knowing a location so well. We, like the rest of the nation, need something to counter the images online and via television. We chose to be outdoors this weekend.

Edem joined us. We moved plants, trimmed, relocated, cut, maneuvered, shifted rocks, and worked up a decent sweat. The goal is to see the meaning of life in our backyard from every angle possible - that is, that life can be life and diversity is beautiful. In the middle: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. His foresight had the wisdom for this change.

I quickly fell back into the 14-hour day because my June course began last night. I didn't leave my office much, but to run and to check on Chitunga before he headed off to his overnight job (a way to make money before employment begins in the Fall at Ernst & Young). I went out back briefly and used Edem's camera to get a few photos of the work. There's more to come, and I'll always be willing to work with the Earth so that life has a better tomorrow.

I've been doing most of the cooking, but we did order in on Saturday. The leftovers have held over to Monday, and as I was finishing up the meal at 10 p.m. last night, I started throwing the containers into the garbage. I realized how quickly it filled, too - another reality hitting from our stay-at-home lifestyle is the fact that we aren't bringing as much waste into our abode. I am realizing how much garbage the dine-in/dine-out culture really produces. This is true for groceries, too. Now that we went without plastic bags and we can't use our own bags because of Covid-19, we put our wares in the cart and then into the car, and then into the cupboards. There's none of the plastic waste. It's nice.

I appreciate finding such insight to bring temporary joy in the chaos of these times, also recognizing the privileges that come from being in a home that can offer such reflection. I've always been able to see the world for what it is all around me, but I'm definitely seeing the world for what it is right now, including the people in it. Perhaps that is why Tunga's back yard efforts offer hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment