Tuesday, June 23, 2020

One More Class to Go for the Summer Research Lab and We Are All Reaching for the Stars

My metaphor for last night's grad course was that we are almost to that stat we've wanted to touch, but this week is the final haul. The bags under our eyes, the breathing, the focused intend, and the odd humor let me know that we're all very close to the edge...

...pacing the cage...

because we see an end to it all. This was an intense 4 weeks and I'm so glad that I spent five years reworking the way we'll roll out research methodologies in the future. This sequence was harsh on our students. It's a lot of work to do, especially after student teaching. I am watching these students try to reach the finish line as if they are collapsing in a marathon just feet from the goal. They don't have much left, and it's sort of cruel that this is the way it's been done for so many years. From now on, the design will work in support of student teaching, rather than an addition to it.

With that said, I'm extremely impressed by how much has been accomplished in this short time and I can attest that each student's folder is thick with accomplished work, meeting of expectations, and miraculous insight. It's just that it's a lot...to do intently...in such a brief time. The turn around from me, too, is also impossible, but I've dedicated myself to seeing each and every student successful.

We all just want to reach the star. I imagine we'll also get sick when we get there.

Okay, Tuesday...there's one more class of Methods, two publications to tweak, the teacher's guide, and CWP online summer to work on.

And go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment