Thursday, June 11, 2020

(He's Shaking His Head) (This ZOOM Life Cannot Prevail) (He's Okay with It, But OH MY GOD, REALLY). Some Celebrations

I need to begin by the fact that I woke up, did my traditional bowl of Raisin Bran, but failed. I poured it on a plate, instead of a bowl, and when I added milk, I realized the error of my ways.

I very much can end the day, too, with a similar story. As I sat on ZOOM and in meetings, and in planning sessions, and in in writing groups, and in a conference, and in graduate courses from 8 a.m. until 9:30 p.m., I failed to make dinner for the household, and when I came downstairs, I was delighted to see that Chitunga went to get food - Popeyes. Hey, I can't complain. I made myself a plate, but then remembered the trash needed to go out, and when I returned, Glamis the Wonder Dog had jumped up and devoured the chicken and potatoes meant for me. She was hungry, too.

I have to say, however, that an impromptu meeting with teacher leaders in CT about transitioning online initiated an activity about having students go OFF-ZOOM to listen to a document and to use Google Docs as a location to record their thinking (chat room style) as part of an online class.

So, I tried it. 14 pages of single space reflection later from students connecting to text, listening, writing responses, and responding to responses, I realized the recommendation was spot on. One student, Mallory, event created this Meme to post in the document as a way of expressing what the conversational, yet textual, exchange meant to her. I will take "Google Doc Chat Room" as a hit for this historian of the future. Love the brain power she felt.

We actually had class for almost the entire 4 hours. I was shocked myself, as all were engaged, interacting, and moving things forward.

Granted, I yelled at myself in front of the students to declare, "This was wrong of me. No one can sustain ZOOM for that long," but the feedback was pretty astounding. The running document shows this, too. Everyone was connected, engaged, and excited to take part in the learning.

News flash: I didn't direct the learning. I participated in it. I will forever be a learner.

At this point, we are 50% of the way through the course (midterm time....really?) and I'm super thrilled that we are all enduring this together. It's a lot...for all of us...

...but we are making it work. I'm simply proud of them all.

But, Glamis. I want my chicken. And Chitunga, "I can't believe I came down after a 12-hour day and you had dinner. I am so lucky. Otherwise it would have been a bowl of ice cream, probably served in a spaghetti strainer."


No comments:

Post a Comment