Sunday, August 30, 2020

And Then There Was the Trim. Hmmm. Painting a Room From Scratch is Harder than Paint by Numbers.

Next up on the new front porch was the ocean white trip, which we did around the windows, ceiling, and floor. You'd think that it would take a few minutes because the areas are small, but the truth is, taping up the areas took my energy out on Friday, and painting took my energy out yesterday. It's meticulous work, and now I need to think about the wall paint (although I'm inclined to decide only when I figure out the window treatments, either shades or curtains). What I do know is that I am going to spent a lot of reading and writing time in this space as it's already calling to be out there.

Perhaps that is my nosey neighbor tendency. Actually, it's because I'm always drawn to natural light and the porch has this all day long because it faces south towards the Long Island Sound.

My Saturday started out slow. Like most people I know, it started with shock about Chadwick Boseman, Howard University grad, icon, and hero to so many I know. Leo was trying to figure out who he reminds him of and I said, "He kind of has Lossine and Abu in them...a cross between the twins. But, much better looking (ha ha)."

And I was thinking of seeing the movie with Chitunga when it came out, missing Marcelle, her son, and her husband by just minutes (as they were exiting as we arrived). I only realized this later from Facebook posts.

And I am thinking of idols, role models, influencers, narrators, story-tellers, and magic, and how T'Challa brought all of this to the world generations way too late. Ask why such a film wasn't made previously, and you get everything that is wrong in the United States. The timelines tell the story. History has its chapters.

Today, we tackle the next phase of the porch, which I think is going to be a light smoky gray stain. We shall see. It might be nothing at all. We shall see as the day unfolds. That's the way I'm allowed to roll these days and I will take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment