Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Because I Could, I Tried to Nap. Tried? Well, I Put a Faculty Meeting on Audio, and Just Listened, Closed My Eyes & Pretended

I didn't really sleep, but friends and I were sharing photographs of our dogs sleeping heavily on the lazy day of summer (because the heat was high and the cicadas were singing). Joking, I laid in bed and said, "I think I will join them." Snapped a photo & hit send.

It lasted 30-minutes because no one was sleeping through the high-shrilled voices who raised their hand to ask a question then proceeded to ask 54 of them. The  questions my colleagues asked were interesting, and I have to applaud Dr. Christine Siegel and her phenomenal integrity while answering them (phew). She's good at what she does and I wouldn't want her job. It's impossible, especially as we try to balance out our economic ways of knowing with our human ones.

I did, however, grow more alarmed about the Fall than I previously was, especially when nursing faculty and law scholars began asking hard-hitting questions about the liability of returning students. The question that got me was, "Has administration run the numbers of death percentages expected as a result of the choice to stay open?"

Yikes. It's inevitable it will spread, but death percentages are low. Let's hope our community is not one of the locations.

Alas, I won't be there. I can mark myself safe for 6 months as I sit on my ass writing from home. It's just that I want to visit my parents, but after the call I'm a lot more paranoid than I was before. I tend to trust our nurses because they work in the field and see everything. They are straight-forward and honest with their recommendations. They are like, "Wash your hands, close your circles, and stay home," which I've done since March.

Ha. Just realized if I get Covid the photo above is likely what I'd look like in a casket.  No fears. I've told the boys that they are to turn me into soil and to grow a tree out of me. I'm sure I've got some worm-nutrient beef within me. I'd like to spend my afterlife reaching for the sun with my green leaves, providing shade for others, offering shelter for the birds, feeding the insects, and swaying in the wind. That's the goal.

Two ZOOM projects today and some much-needed editing and re-organizing. I also have to plot the CNY weekend visit....tent in the back yard?

The reality that the pool won't be there just hit me. Phew. That's rough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment