Saturday, August 22, 2020

Because I Embellish When Storytelling, Here's My Long Island Sound Story From Yesterday

After morning meetings, writing, and prepping, I looked at the clock, the high tide calendar, and my next interview, and said, "Shoot. If I leave now, I can do 1.5 hours of kayaking on the Long Island Sound...which I did....expecting no winds and smooth waters.

The Sound had a different mind, however. I should have known when I saw all wind surfers out on the water speeding, doing tricks, and flipping in somersaults that it probably wasn't the best day to kayak. I thought, "Well, you wanted a work out, it's almost 90 degrees, what's a little wind and choppy waters?"

What it is, exactly, is fatigue. I have my usual route, but I couldn't take it the entire way because the waves were coming in all directions, dumping ocean water in my kayak and making it nearly impossible to move. Of course, I got quite a distance out before I realized I needed to head back in to interview Candice Iloh at 3 p.m.. When I started back I thought, "Cripes. Will I be able to do this?"

It was fun, but messy. Rough. I was soaked and the boat was loaded with salt water. It became heavy, and my arms were aching (and I enjoyed every second of it, even if I felt like I was rowing in place). I made it to the shore safely. I also was home in time for the interview.

The sound usually doesn't move in the ways it was moving yesterday (and I'm guessing this is a commercial for Fall weather and hurricane season to come). It was sort of entertaining trying to navigate the waves without flipping over...but it was a tinge scary, too.

Going to get a cup of coffee now, then I imagine I will complain about my sore shoulders, triceps, and biceps for the rest of the day.

But it's the weekend....ahhhhhhhhh.

Only one ZOOM meeting at 11 p.m. - then I think I will read all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment