Wednesday, May 27, 2020

All These Years of Being Kermit, When Suddenly @RebeccaMarsick Helps Me To See I Have Become Scooter, Too

Yesterday, in an exchange with my friend, colleague, and co-collaborator, Rebecca Marsick, I was looking for the character who took care of all the backstage, Muppet Show work and as I began listing the names, it finally hit me...

...SCOOTER...

...doing the National Writing Project #TheWriteTime series has me in a new role. I'm not acting the fool as Kermit the Frog like usual (I still have this role); instead, I'm also weaving together the curtains, the dancing squirrels that dress up as horses, and Animal with his drum sets. It's fun.

I have casted myself in the role of Scooter, too.

Rebecca immediately sent me this .gif and I fell in love with it, instantly-  a perfect metaphor for how I'm coping with all my roles. Breathe in. Breathe out. It's all beautiful. The work we do is beautiful.

Truth be told, I set 12-hours aside yesterday for writing, which turned quickly into 2 hours of writing and 10 hours of reading new books because, well, the "Wells Fargo Wagon" has begun to deliver my book orders for summer. Of course, friends at Penguin also sent me additional reads which lured me away from my own agenda even further.

Curse you, Universe! You know how I get with new books. Stop this insanity.

It's all good, though. I'm loving every second (albeit looking more like Waldorf and Statler up in the balcony from the self-criticism). Yucca Yucca Yucca (which, incidentally, is a novel I wrote in graduate school about a postmodern, albino squirrel. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. It would be awful if anyone knew about this could-of-been NY Times Bestseller. One day, I will even have the nerve to reread it again. Oh, Fozzy Bear.

Okay, Hump Day. I'm feelin' ya. We got this. What you read yesterday was totally inspirational! And you're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment