Sunday, May 17, 2020

Looking Forward to What Comes Next - This Kid Is an Amazing Blessing and I Am So Fortunate To See Him Soar

The Kid. Eagle. Chitunga. Deserving of this Graduation.
Yesterday, I asked if there could be a place in the day to do a photo shoot (well I-Phone) shoot so we could put together a graduation announcement. It still bothers me tremendously that the pomp and circumstance of a graduation will not occur this Spring for the Classes of 2020. I was surprised that (a) he granted permission for attending the commencement, and (b) he was willing to do a photo shoot when we realized there wouldn't be one at Le Moyne College.

I am thinking back to when he was a senior in high school, even earlier - in sophomore and junior year - and he kept his nose to the books and a grind in his step. I also remember his first courses at Housatonic when he wondered if he could do it, and of course he was working full-time...a job that led to a management position. He held his own, prioritized his time, and found a way to study and make money.

When it came time to transfer, he also wondered, "Was I prepared enough at Housatonic?" but then he went to Le Moyne and excelled, getting solid grades from the very beginning, even choosing the challenging courses over the easy ones. He did internships with Ernst & Young and they honored him with scholarship so he could pursue his Masters in Information Systems. Of course, he did this while continuing to work full time with internships, part-time jobs, and absolute commitment to his goals.

I was fortunate to go with him to his dream location last summer, a cabin in the Adirondacks that was secluded, pristine, peaceful, and away from it all. When I walked up the path to the home, I realized quickly why it was his nirvana. It belonged to his boss in Syracuse. It was a slice of perfection: quiet, shaded, and on water.

Perhaps one day he'll chisel another location like that for himself, but today we simply went to the Sound so he could look out at the water, the beaches, the few boats, and the seagulls. He knows all my worlds, and has the same fondness for looking out to water as I do.

For years, I've never known how to respond to people who say to me, "You're going to burn out. You work too hard. You need to relax every now and again." That's never been my nature and I've always wondered why people would say such a thing. Of course, I've learned why, while guiding, parenting, mentoring, applauding, loving, watching, and admiring Chitunga. He is focused on his prize and, to be honest, 110% interested in all he does. I love the intellectual in him more than anything else.

As this blog post goes out, he'll just be returning from work, as his full-time job with EY won't start until September. He didn't sit still long, and got an overnight shift to make money during the summer. As I'm unwinding and finally finishing my own work each day, he packs up to head in. It's sort of a good routine, as I know it needs to be quiet during the day as he sleeps and I simply use it to do my own reading and writing.

Happy Sunday, All. I hope you find time to rest and reflect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment