Wednesday, May 6, 2020

This Is My Story of Three Sues: Sudy, Sue, and Susie Q - How Blessed Can an Educator Be? #thankateacher #WriteNow #NWP

Ladies and Gentleman,

It is Teacher Appreciation Week and I'm dedicating my blog this morning to shouting out to educators who deserve a round of applause. I'd like you to meet my parents. Susan Marilyn, Sudy, Crandall and her husband Butch. I'm a son of a Butch and Sue. We often jump into teacher appreciation week gravitating for K-12 teachers, even college, professors who have had an impact on us, but I have to say that all my learning begins with these two.

"Bryan, go get me a beer," my dad said every night of his life as he came up the stairs for dinner.

"But you just came from there," I'd say. "Why didn't you get one yourself?"

"You heard what I said," he'd reply and I'd run down the stairs and get him a beer.

Then there's mom...she and I have talked throughout our lives about books (she has always been a reader, and although I hated her reading to me every morning from Reader's Digest, I've appreciated her animation, enthusiasm and zest for words - it's just that I'm miserable in the morning, and hate anyone talking, let alone reading, to me). In my adult life, mom has become my number one fan, although she much prefers Matt de la Peña over me, but that's another - Days of Our Lives - fantasy story. She cherishes his books. I am thankful to have this Susan in my life - she gave me life. She's the reason for life.

Susan #2. What would I be without this sage? Age 23, this woman comes to me in the Beargrass Creek Nature Preserve and says I heard you might be interested in student teaching with me. "Huh?" - turns out that a kid in one of my nature programs had a mom who taught at a school in Louisville and had connections to the incredible Sue McV. Long story short, Sue took me on as a student teacher and has been my life coach ever since. Her devotion, investment, guidance, and support have been irreplaceable. She, together with my mom, Sue, helped me to find a platform where I've been able to grow. I tell everyone I know that Sue McV is the greatest educator I've ever known. I mean this. Everyone deserves a Sue McV in their life and I wish I could share wisdom, guidance, thoughtfulness, and heart her with everyone. But I can't. I need to be selfish with her, although. Everything I do as a K-12 educator is because of her investments in me. What has been extra special is that Mommy Sue, and Louisville Mom Susan, are friends (and can talk smack about me behind my back on Words with Friends). There is nothing like a walk-n-talk with this brilliant human being. My sage for life.

Then came Susan #3. I owe this one to Bickmore's Young Adult Literature conference in Baton Rouge where she and I ate breakfast and lunch together daily, and lo- and behold, became instant friends (we just added water - actually, the beautiful, pelican-laced beaches of Pensacola). As I told my father, I finally found the red-headed Susie Q you've always wanted to find for yourself (Dad has always had something for redheads).

So, Susie-Q and I became friends: whacky, over-the-top, tireless, passionate teaching friends who shouldn't have so much energy because it is not fair to others. Anyway, academia is a total freak show and those of us who come to it from K-12 experiences need one another to survive. In our terms, "We just get it," in ways that so many do not. And we vent, and we vent, and we vent.

For several years, Susie-Q has been my critical friend, confidante, co-conspirator, and National Writing Project mentee. In fact, hosting a weeklong National Writing Campaign to celebrate teachers was totally her idea - and I'm loving it. I am sure, like many in Florida, she's the educator they're naming as most influential. She is the epitome of Hope's superpower.

So, I'm entering this hump day a blessed man, spoiled and enriched by almost 5 decades of Susans in my life. It must be the name because my Aunt Susan is just as awesome. My recommendation is to find a Sue, and see what they might do for you. Teaching is love. It's relationships. Fortunate for me, they've give me both.

Get out there and find those who love you most, who are willing to build a relationship with you and who will make you a better human being.

See, Dad.  You have always been onto something with these Susan-people. Son of a Butch, you're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment