Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Scene from Pee Wee's Playhouse - A Great Way to Spend in ZOOM Meetings - I Should Have Worn a Bow-Tie

Is it the postmodernists who coined the term of postmodernism of play - that is, an individual can mock the reality of the world and simply have fun, intellectually, by playing with it comedically? I thought about that yesterday when I decided I wanted to be Pee Wee Herman in all my Zoom meetings. Sadly, I didn't think of it until the later ones, missing 1/2 a day where I could have been Mecca mecca high, Mecca hiney ho.

Anything to crack myself up.

My arse is so tired of sitting and listening, and talking, and planning, and networking, and teaching, and organizing, and updating, and gathering. It's a lot...this ZOOM reality, and I'm sure it will be the wave of the future, too...

But we will look at our laptops and screens thinking they are telephones with chords and strap on silver roller skates sometime in the future. Everything will advance. Our screens will be our connectors, but they won't be on desks...they will be built into walls. It's coming. Constant mediated realities from behind screens. As long as I can still play, then I will be okay.

I did take a break to grill scallops and sizzle some bacon for a pesto pasta dish we had with Italian bread and Caesar salad. I was proud of myself for finding the energy to cook (what else is new?). Got a great run in the morning, too, and enjoyed some of the closing meetings, as well as the introductory ones bringing on summer.

Chitunga is now working overnight in the graveyard shift stocking and taking online orders, so his schedule is 10 pm to 6 a.m. throwing off his sleeping hours, study hours, and eating habits. I never know when he's conked out (Conkey...that's funny...no pun intended), frustrated with his lot (he wanted a job and couldn't not take it), and probably hiding from the fact that like so many, the celebration that was supposed to be this month, blurred into the need for global patience.

As always, the two of us read voraciously and follow the reports of scientists. We're trying to be optimistic, but are settling into the fact that this reality might be a reality for some time. It's nerve-wracking, but we're getting through it. I keep trying new dishes, and this one was great, although I wish the scallops were fresher. I think I will try it next time with salmon or shrimp. And grocery store brand pasta isn't that good - it's all I had.

Welcome, Hump Day - Glad you're hear again, because that means the garbage goes out as well as recyclables (Definitely doing more home consumption than usual, especially with three in the house). Glamis doesn't count. Well actually she does. I imagine much of her hair fills those garbage bags, and then there are her "walking" bags, too.

Okay, time for another cup of coffee and the first meeting of the day. Believe it or not, I think by 5 p.m. today, the meetings end. One can only hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment