Saturday, May 16, 2020

It Was a @WritingProject Kind Of Day, & Truthfully? I'd Want It No Other Way. There's Nothing Better #TheWriteTime

Shouting LOUD to @TBakerNWP on the West Coast for recording our audio/video #2 in a new series, "It's The Write Time" - a video podcast production to promote teachers as they interview children's and young adult authors. It took a few calls,  support of Penguin Random House extraordinaire Kristin Shultz, a few texts to author friends (as well as a national call to teachers), and a "let's do this" attitude.

Now it's time to make history.

Yesterday, I'm pleased to announce, my audio recording extras arrived to Mt. Pleasant. I was so jealous Gene Luen Yang's sound quality while interviewing him last week) that, after the recording, I immediately ordered a new microphone with spit guard. (it wasn't that much - I'm glad I did it). We are able to showcase the shows on YouTube, NWP Radio, Facebook, and elsewhere. We did 40 for 40 a decade ago, so now it is time for 50! Why not get 50 teachers together with 50 writers to share with colleagues, parents, and young people the writing community we love so much?

For several weeks and perhaps the rest of this year, Tanya and/or I will be introducing a National Writing Project teacher and a children's or young adult author to interview one another about their work. #TheWriteTime, the series name, resulted after a week of quarantine. I wanted to find a way to provide content for teachers, kids, and parents online (while they're home) and for all (when we return to better). Together with Kristin and Tanya, and with Phoebe Yeh and Elyse Eidman-Aadahl in support, we envisioned a show that could be valuable to a wide range of audiences. After last night's recording (so good...what a debut! Kim Herzog and Nic Stone rocked it), I realized we are onto something special. I can't wait to do the next one next week (cough cough. It's all Love mom. It's all Love).

Funny, too, because when I got off the recording, the first email I received was from Jean Wolph with an invitation to record a testimonio about my experience with the Louisville Writing Project. No-brainer...done. Besides, today is Jean's birthday...it's the least I can do.


So how does Crandall spend a Friday night during a mandatory homestay? He spends it reflecting, enjoying, and loving the National Writing Project family.

I can't wait for the next production, and the production after that, and the next one (and so on, and so on). It's one way to put writing in the limelight!

It is the WRITE TIME for such conversations, and to uplift the hard work of teachers and the authors  our students love to read!

Happy Saturday, Y'ALL. We gotta write!!! A'ight?!

No comments:

Post a Comment