Sunday, May 3, 2020

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, I Live in a Garbage Can. I Love To Go Swimmin...

Funny how songs stick in our head, especially the ones we're taught as children....

Worst part about having Chitunga home is the micro-managing of all spending in a thought-out focus to be frugal and responsible (which is something I love, too). He reminds all of us daily; the best part about having him home is he makes exceptions for Popeye's (which I should probably hate him for). Every once in a while I need to destroy my stomach and intestines with good ol' Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, coleslaw and biscuits.

Oh, their biscuits were so good.

After spending the vast part of the morning finishing a writing project, I moved to the lawn, then the cars, then the garage. Chitunga is determined to help me take care of my master list (we've been keeping one for 5 years, including tackling the garage). It piles up with items he and I store there. We scheduled a large item pickup for June 9th, so we are getting ourselves ready to finally rid ourselves of larger furniture, tires, and junk we don't use.

We also spent a large chunk of time working on the Internet. With three of us on wifi 24/7, and in need to ZOOM, sharing the waves has been tricky. Chitunga bought a new modem a couple of days ago but gave up when he realized we needed to call Optimum and the wait was for 4 hours. So, it was put off until today. Actually, I called early a.m. to get myself on the list and they called me about 4 p.m..  It was Frank. His English was limited, but he knew his numbers, letters, yes, no, and I'm sorry. Long story short, after he hung up on us 3 times, he finally got a secure connection and we did our best to hook up the new, faster modem. It didn't work. No matter how hard we tried, he could not see the new modem on his end. Talking to the supervisor, we learned that Optimum doesn't work with all modems, even though we bought the same brand they provided, but upgraded the speed.

So it was returned. If I didn't have frustrations with Optimum before (which I did), I definitely had frustrations with them yesterday (times a billion).

We came back, however, with a fancier router to use with the old modem. This worked. Word from the other computer users is that everything is so  much better now. I wasn't having any problems on my laptop. I do think, though, it is moving a little faster.

That is why, as the day started to end I was okay in having my arm twisted behind my back and succumbed to a suggestion for Popeyes Chicken. My stomach regrets it now, but going down it was worth every bite.

It was a beautiful day yesterday and I took full advantage of it. I'm exhausted - we washed both cars, too, and vacuumed them out. I'm now antsy to dig in dirt and get more plants in. I'm just not brave enough to risk Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart. I'm watching the nation and thinking, "Phew. I sure hope the researchers and scientists are wrong. Because if they are right, Americans are about to keep this COVID-19 thing going for a very, very long time. Numbers being predicted by scholars at Oxford are something else. I sure hope they are being hyper-paranoid.

Only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment