Thursday, May 21, 2020

Forgive Me, Thursday. I Have to Sell My Soul to the Bureaucracy of It All. I Will Try to Remain Positive

I've been living 12-hour success- days, because (a) courses ended, (b) my days have transitioned to CWP work, (c) the National Writing Project work is efficient, effective, and powerful, and (d) there's been space and time to get things done.

Today, however, I have to return to the bureaucracy of it all and a 6-hour faculty meeting on ZOOM for accreditation, data processing, and jibber-jabbing. I am always amazed how much can be accomplished, achieved, and celebrated when NWP colleagues get to work with a goal in mind. I wish I could say the same was true for my other work. Instead...

...well...

...you attend a 6-hour working meeting on ZOOM. That says everything.

Shut up or do something about it. I can't take on any more leadership, so this one belongs to others and I simply need to endure. Trust. Hope for the best. Believe.

But I know too well.

Today will be 6 hours of UGH. I can't win them all.

And I am thinking about what I could do with another 6 hours of productivity as it has been since designing the purposes and goals for success in my own world. Alas, we are all owned by others. It's the way it's always been, and sadly it will always be this way.

If only we could belong to ourselves, and not the layers and layers of UGH that comes from being part of a larger institution.

Okay, world. I'm turning on my positive attitude switch and a smile. Things are about to get UGH-ly, but I promise to be beautiful. Nothing like a last-minute retreat to make you question why you chose to be part of any institution.

We got this, Crandall. We have no choice but to get this.

Onward.

And no, this dude will never wear UGGs. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment