Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Over 12-Hours of ZOOM Life Yesterday, and Cherishing the Time Spent with @SUSchoolofEd RLAC Family. Amazing

Leave it to Dr. Kelly Chandler Olcott to pull together a RLAC Reunion Party for this year's English Education students that unites two-decades of graduates, shouts out to the doctoral class of 2020, highlights colleagues who have left a tremendous impact on the RLAC tradition, and allows space for poetry, song, dance, toasts, and storytelling.

When I received the email to wear my best Syracuse University attire, I went a little further. I decorated the scene behind me, so my ZOOM window would be 'Cuse all the way (including Laurie Halse Anderson over my shoulder and Otto on my lap). I told the graduate students that I came to campus wearing my University of Louisville colors proudly; even remarked to Kelly one time that I don't understand how anyone could put blue and orange together. She rolled her eyes a little and said, "Crandall. That will change one day. It will be different once you graduate."

She was right.

It was amazing to see Liz Lewis, a doctoral student who mentored me, former graduate students who I supervised, alumnus that were legendary, and a faculty that makes the English Education program at Syracuse University so remarkable. Drs. Janine Nieroda, Marcelle Haddix, and Kelly Chandler Olcott are top-notch human beings and exceptional leaders. Those who are fortunate to receive their mentorship and guidance become unique scholars,  doers, and educators who travel throughout the world to spread their investments onto others.

The theme for the ZOOM celebration was family...generations of English Education individuals united by life in Huntington Hall. I've been part of numerous ZOOM meetings over the last 6 years, and WOLA! Kelly Chandler Olcott outdid them all: organized, clever, inspiring, well-designed, and mastered. There was humor in the last 5-minutes, too, when she disappeared. We all thought, "What do we do now?" which was followed by many saying, "Oh, she'll be back. She always finishes what she starts."

Sure enough, Dr. Sharon Dotger was texted that Kelly's battery died and she needed to reboot in a new location. She returned, and the blue and orange love continued. She offered a little speech about the impossibility of perfection, and then gave a special reading of a Nikki Giovanni poem.

Now I have to decide if I will keep my Syracuse shrine up for future meetings, or re-theme again for today's' meetings.

Phenomenal job, RLAC. Loved seeing everyone. I have tremendous pride for everything invested unto me by the literacy leaders that work there. It's my job to pay it forward!

One of the most special locations in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment