Saturday, May 23, 2020

Proud Paternal Moment. A Surprise Celebration Pulled Off. Doing What I Could To Celebrate His Accomplishment.

I am very thankful to all who, over the last several weeks, found the time to use Flip Grid, Zoom, and video messaging to help me compile a 35 minute video of well-wishes for Chitunga's Masters graduation. I didn't know if I could pull it off, but I did, and I can say that the messages hit him in his heart and will forever be with him in his soul. It wasn't a face-to-face celebration, but he saw many of 'his tribe' that love him, support him, and wish him the best. He sat at my desk watching message after message, and I simply saw the back of his head as he viewed. I knew from the way he kept wiping down his glasses that his eyes were steaming up. As he said, "I didn't realize my tribe was so enormous."

Yesterday was spent overseeing Tracey Flores's interview of Matt de la Peña - The Write Time, working with collaborators on several writing projects, and holding my breath to succeed with the Chitunga surprise. "Hey, come to my room and help me with something, will ya?" I asked.

I began with a montage of his life, followed by a message from me that said, "I am leaving you this video, but also inviting several guests to join me. It was then that a chorus of Chitunga's people jumped in with their well wishes: some from the heart, others written and read, some performed, and all genuine. Perfect actually.

Graduates this year are cheated at every level, but I did find a Carvel open, and was excited to get him an ice cream cake (especially because our earliest photos were of him devouring an ice cream birthday cake from Carvel he got for me).

So Friday night was spent with the video, a few drinks, an incredible fire out back, and then a 3 hour documentary on Jack Johnson.

All I can say is that the messages provided by so many were irreplaceable. It was exactly what Chitunga needed and he was extremely touched. He felt every ounce of the love, support, and sincerity these messages delivered.

Well, 2020, you're delivering a lot for us to consider, but I'm likely to remember this time as the semester Chitunga achieved his Masters degree and so many united, digitally, to be sure he knew how proud of him they were. It was a great afternoon, that led to a dinner, an evening, and late into the night.

It was Congrats, Chitunga, 2020, indeed.

1 comment: