Friday, November 6, 2020

And Here We Are Again with Another Friday During Covid-19 at (Don't Say It) an - UnPrethidented - Time in History, But This Post is About My New Glasses

I'm a little-bit ready to set aside the Great American nerd-out and enter the real world.

A week ago, I got new glasses, which I rely on for computer work, reading, and writing. I've also been on a marathon of reading an excessive amount of books, writing daily, and being accountable to collaborative projects. It's been a good distraction from the real world, which I'm not quite sure I want to be a part of (at least for now). 

I'm not sure about the specs. In the age of Covid,  customer service is rather, "Just pick an #$@#$ pair of glasses and get the #$#@ out of here.' I recognized the sales-lady's impatience, and when she came out with the clearance rack from the back, I thought, "She doesn't want me in this store." Oh, okay. If you say so. I guess these will do."

Then I got my ass kicked out. The optometrist was funny and relaxed. His sales team, though. Phew. "Hey, these are the ones. They look good on you. Thanks for coming. Bye." 

When they came in, however, I appreciated their ability to help me see everything up close. Cynde asked, "Why are they white?" I said, "they match my chin hairs and graying scalp."

Seriously, they do help me see. It's just that they're so generic, I almost don't know if they are on my nose or not. They almost feel like toy glasses.  

Okay. Done with that rant. Today is Friday. I am going to hit send on another project and know I should start the other one, but I'm kind of tired. If it is warm enough, I just might decide to spend the day sweating. It is Vicki Soto 5K week, after all.

And now I'm looking at the photo above and thinking, "My professor in college was right." She said, "You could never be an actor or a model because your face is all crooked and distorted."

I guess I needed glasses to see that for myself. Her remarks were random and out of the blue (it happened during office hours), but they came none the less. I remember leaving that day wondering, "Was she thinking I could possibly be an actor or model in her own head, and simply sharing an opinion out loud?"

I'll never know. But she was right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment