Thursday, November 19, 2020

It's the Little Things in Life: Gum-ball Machines, Crayons, and Finding a Wad of Extra-celestial Stickers While Hiking During Lunch


Well, conference week kicked off last night (as well as the National Book Awards) and I'm ready for NCTE and ALAN. There will be no LRA this year, as last year - leading up to Covid - I had almost 18 presentations. It was too much. This year, I get to ride low, as only two presentations were sustained at NCTE and I didn't apply for LRA at all. I did, however, treat myself and will attend ALAN for the first time. I can't wait to see what it's all about. I also can't wait to dig into the books they sent.

I'm still on my writing schedule and am making progress, knowing there will be multiple interruptions until next Tuesday (I can say that all the copies of POW have been sent to the families of summer writers...I didn't want to inundate the post office, so brought 10 copies at a time - okay, I admit it, I would go to Stratford, then Devon, then Milford post offices, so sent 30 a day for the past week. They are officially out of my house.)

And even though my sister finds $20s when she walks, and other friends find lottery tickets worth money, I've scored twice in the last week. First, I found an unopened roll of dog shit baggies (SCORE!) and second, I found a pile of robot/space saucer stickers ready for the taking. I don't know what I will do with them, but I know I will do something. They'll definitely find their way into one of my notebooks.

There are also many finger snaps required for the fact that mom is out of the hospital and back home, but now we need to return 'prayers up,' for my father. Phew. And for my older sister who continues to be a saint. And for Chubby's who is likely to blame for it all.

Listen to frontline workers, doctors, nurses, and any one in the medical fields. They are dealing with a lot right now, and it's scaring even them. Mask up. Wash the hands. And stay home if you can. 

Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment