Friday, November 27, 2020

Perhaps the Greatest Joy of Such Holidays is When You Realize You're the One Maintaining the Traditions

It was eventful, but not eventful. I've been hosting the Turkey-fest for almost 7 years and I'm getting pretty good at it (I just need to rely on Pam's stuffing because I have no idea how anyone can make it better than her). I got up at 7, started prepping, and had the bird in the oven by 10 for a 3:30 removal. In the meantime, I peeled the potatoes and carrots, prepped the cauliflower and Brussel sprouts, then set forth to make the mashed potatoes, barbecued vegetables, and maple carrots. The call was for 4 p.m., and at the last minute I made green bean casserole.

Trouble is, Tunga was feeling his 25th birthday and went upstairs to nap, Edem was sleeping because he has an overnight shift, Pam is on weight watchers, and everyone else was social distancing. So, Pam watched me eat a portion of the 22 pound gobbler, and shared a bottle of wine. Jake and Glamis played and then conked out, and as I was cleaning, Pam left, & Tunga came down for festival. 

It's all good. Nothing was supposed to be normal this year, and I'm just happy the refrigerator is stocked for the boys for a few days. Pam also brought Kaitlyn's creamed kale and it was delicious.

I am simply grateful that a feast was made and everyone will get to it when they can get to it. I also found bizarre orange cauliflower, which tasted the same but added cool Autumn colors to the plate.

I did get the coma at around 7 pm as Tunga headed over to Patrick and Stephanie's. So, the ritual happened, just not in the ways of the last few years. I think Glamis went into a turkey coma, too, as she didn't stir when I went into the garage and back to take out the trash and recyclables. She was zonked out. 

Now, it is time for the holiday ritual of Christmas decorating. 

Phew. What food and delight (and so many phone calls and FaceTime gatherings).

I hope everyone is safe, quarantined, and doing well. That's the priority we all should have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment