Tuesday, November 10, 2020

@binghamtonu Caught My Attention Yesterday, Especially with The University Magazine and Shout-Out to Dr. Al Vos

I seem to have a mailbox that likes to horde University magazines: Binghamton, University of Louisville, Bread Loaf School of English, Oxford University, Fairfield University, and Syracuse. When they come, I quickly glance through them to catch up on updates, stories of interest, and class updates. Always great to see the sights (and thoughts) of yesteryear.

I have to be honest, however, and brag a little bit.

Binghamton University produces the best magazine of them all. The articles are always developed, timely, thorough, diverse, and positive. After I read through the Fall 2020 issue, I looked out my office window and said, "Phew, I was so lucky to go to Binghamton University as an undergraduate student." I knew it then, and I know it now. Binghamton University is simply an incredible place. I left there knowing that critical, intellectual thinking, research, hard work, exploration, and a drive for excellence is what it takes. 

I guess the Fall '20 issue was the Covid-19 issue, and each story made me nod while whispering the word "integrity." Graduates of Binghamton go on to amazing careers and scholars at Binghamton bring out the best in their students. From virus research, to photography, to psychological studies during chaotic times, to dashed-dreams of athletes, or the importance of campus diversity, I simply found myself nostalgic, "I remember my time on that campus. Those were the 4 best years of my life."

Truth: I've never been back. I lived my 1990-1994 Binghamton existence and left in a Toyota Tercel when it ended saying to myself, "I want to freeze the memories I made and never return. I don't want to  ruin any of them." Now I live in Connecticut, so I often drive through Binghamton when I visit my family in Syracuse.   I always wave from my heart, and give high fives with my head. I see the campus off in the distance and, perhaps, that's the way it should be as adult realities settle in.

While I was on campus, I never could afford a sweatshirt or any Binghamton paraphernalia and I remember the year my advisor at Louisville went to Binghamton to interview for a Dean's position. She didn't get the job, but returned with a sweatshirt for me that I still wear proudly.   I can only imagine how much has changed in the last 26 years - in my head it is still 1994 (and I will keep it that way, thank you).

I chose to make this post today, however, because I was so happy to see the story on Dr. Al Vos. He was one of the many English professors who guided my path, took me under their wing, and helped me to think strategically about my future. I drove him nuts, because my sense of humor piqued in his classes with the material we read (often more challenging work and, as a whimsical learner, I make fun of what I don't understand). I loved his teaching though - his kindness - and one day when he kept me after class and said, "I want to get in on the laughing, too, but maybe tone it down a bit." I was so embarrassed (because sometimes I forget how annoying I can be). I made jokes with those around me, keeping my brain active and engaged. He saw this in me and let me know he loved how my brain worked - as whacky and Jim Carrey-esque as it is. In fact, he wrote recommendations for me to go into graduate school. He saw beyond the idiot I was at the time. He always invested in the students.

As I read "The Heart of Hinman" in Binghamton University's magazine, I became all sorts of nostalgic - tet title perfectly describes the man he was (I was also a Hinman college resident). 50-years in one location. It is simply remarkable...a testimony to the scholar, educator, and pro-learning individual that made him phenomenal.

I'm so happy for Dr. Vos and his retirement, and loved having a tiny chance to celebrate his impact on me while reading the story. I knew I would write this morning's post about him (and how I too have to say from time to time now, "I want to get in on the laughing, too, but maybe tone it down a bit."). Actually, that's not true, because my whimsical learning style continues to make me the bigger imp in the classroom. More often than not, I continue to be the ultimate distractor. 

What a champion, though! Dr. Al Vos! So honored to have learned from him. So much appreciation for the Binghamton family.

'

No comments:

Post a Comment