Friday, November 13, 2020

And Then There Are Days When Addressing Hundreds of Envelopes is Therapeutic, Calming, & Just What I Needed

I don't have the office or the campus to recruit a few graduate students for a mass mailing, and I have to say, I'm several months ahead of schedule because of sabbatical, but I have boxes and boxes of POW! 2020 to be mailed and they should be going out this morning. I spent much of yesterday writing addresses, checking zip codes, and stuffing envelopes. The conveyor belt kind--of-day was wonderful, especially after I spent most of the morning writing curriculum.

The rain was heavy, but I managed to get an hour hike in, and continued to listen to the Best of David Sedaris. The few essays I landed on were stellar and, although he's an odd taste to many, I can't help but think he's one of the greatest story-tellers of our time. When he's on point - that is, with an astute observation about the world and our wackiness in it - there's no one like him. 

I'm also still in leftover mode, which wasn't appealing to Chitunga, so he went out to dinner (he makes money now...why eat what's in the fridge?)

And I'm feeling Friday. Actually, I'm looking at the calendar and knowing that the oasis of a sabbatical will not last forever. I can go into sweats knowing I have to return to the agenda of everyone else and not my own, and I don't like one bit of it (I don't want to return to that, actually...I work just as hard on my own without having to do everyone else's biddings). 

Ah, but that is the nature of the beast. I need to squash that out of my head for a couple more months, and keep on grooving in the ways I find most groovy. 

Short Friday post. I have another book I want to finish,. 

No comments:

Post a Comment