Sunday, November 8, 2020

Thinking About Summer Olympics 2020 (They Didn't Happen) While Recognizing Blue Skies Are Most Often Wonderful

Nadia Craft texted a while back saying, "This is like the longest U of L / UK basketball game ever." I got the analogy and continue to be proud of my bluegrass days. I knew basketball because of a childhood in Syracuse. I grew to love and appreciate the art, philosophy, and brilliance of the sport because of the fans that lived in the state, who had a passion for the game, and were totally enraptured by the competition.

Doesn't matter who is playing, games are always intense. It's habitual to yell at the refs for this or that call - to be furious about how the other team is playing - to see the universe working against who you are rooting for...that's what makes the game the game. People are fantastic. Sports divide, but they unite, too. I cheer for most teams, as long as they have a good game. I simply love watching sports: the dedication of athletes, the talent of well-conditioned professionals, the goodwill of being fortunate to be in the game (okay, not Tonya Harding), and the athleticism.

This is year that we didn't have a scheduled Olympics. It was supposed to be in Japan, yet the International celebration of athletic genius was not allowed to happen. The reason? It had nothing to do with nationalism, divisions, or scandals. Nature came at all nations full force - a virus was sent that reminded us that no matter where you live, you're vulnerable. Yes, we can create imaginary lines, theories of illuminati, and tribal ideologies. Human beings are human beings everywhere...it's in our nature to protect and provide for 'our own,'

We were cheated from those games this summer, as we were cheated from the NCAA season last spring. the point is simple....yes, I cheer for my team or this nation or that individual who is in the competition because I'm in awe of excellence...of the sport. I applaud the hard work and skill that is built by those who invest must in what they love to do. In the end, however, it's the game. It is the respectable, honorable, traditional, and celebratory mission of competition and good will that I cherish most. The beauty of giving your all and, if successful, finding yourself rewarded (although most never get the ticker-tape parade or red carpet). They just love what they do.

Like me. I'm a slow, fat runner, but I run. I participate. I try. I respect everyone who passes me, and get surprised when I pass others. I simply love that they are on the road, too. 

25 years in education, two decades of working with immigrant and refugee communities, a decade in higher education, I realize competitions are everywhere. They're healthy. They unite.

I've been saying for a long time now: trust teachers. Teachers in every school have a microcosm of society and, as a result of this, they lead personalities, privileges, economics, inequities, poverty, psychology, and politics in every move they make. They have wands that, in a way, conduct an orchestration of democracy. 

Leaders lead. They find a way to unite people with a vision to accomplish greatness. This is what the best coaches have always done. They promote team, togetherness, performance, and a respect for the game. In the end, we're all in the game. 

That is what I'm thinking about on this Sunday, after yesterday finishing the Vicki Soto 5K virtual week.

The golden rule, and an international mission to promote the best in all. It's togetherness...not division.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Olympics Live Stream

    ReplyDelete