Saturday, November 14, 2020

One More Trip Should Do It. And Then I Need To Return with a Random Act of Kindness. They Are Working

Phase one was to get the book edited. Phase two was to approve the type set. Phase three was to place the order. Phase four was to address the envelopes (and thank the cow I employed to help me seal them all). Phase five was to mail them out to 100s of families. And, I was smart, I only brought one box to the post office at a time.

Because they are books, I'm able to get the media rate, but because each envelope is a different recipient, they must be entered individually. There were no other customers in the post office when I arrived, and I was lucky with the first box because all three employees helped me to move fast. Before we could finish, however, the line picked up behind me. I asked them, "Am I the only idiot driving you nuts today," and they responded, "This is our new work. Since so many people are working from home, mailings from their jobs are coming through us. It used to be letters, but now it is parcels all day long."

I went home and reloaded another box, but brought these to another station. I didn't want to be 'that guy,' and figured I'd burden the employees by dispersing the mailings. I have to say, everyone was super friendly (I didn't expect it), but it was a lot of work. I started racking my brain for a better way. Typically, I cart the books to the University mailroom and they have the code for my Writing Project account. This, of course, is not happening this semester because I'm on sabbatical and the Grad School is online anyway until Covid-19 clears. 

I guess I'm posting today, simply because I'm happy the Post Office accommodated me. It's a lot of work, but a labor of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment