Sunday, November 1, 2020

No Prompt to Respond to This Morning Except the One Floating Around My Head - Well, That Was a 2020 Halloween

With guilt, I ran out to BJs on Friday to pick up items to hand out on Mt. Pleasant. I've had a couple dull years, but for the most part I usually have 100s and 100s of kids. This year, I debated if I'd stay home or go to see the full-moon rising on Walnut Beach. Chitunga said he could hands the trick or treaters and I should just go. Note: I also stopped at the Dollar Store because I have total 80s band hair and I thought, I wonder if I could find seagulls. Nope. But I did find doves, and whereas this is 2020 I thought, "Screw it. I can be a Flock of Pandemic Doves." 

Favorite two mis-interpretations: Prince's "This is what it sounds like when doves cry," and "Jonathon Livingston Seagull"...I'll take it. 

When I was putting together bowls of candy for Chitunga, I found Glamis's lion costume and I forgot that I cleaned out Clearance racks last year, so I had all sorts of stuff to hand, so I had a candy bowl, and a knick-knack bowl. I told him, "If you're going to stay in to study, just put the bowls outside."

That's what he did. 

I know others have reported few visitors, but they did a nice cleaning-out from my house. They didn't take everything, but it was a healthy dose. I went to Walnut Beach to watch the moonrise and it was incredible...a huge orange moon (sorry, no photographs can give it justice. 

I also spent yesterday morning doing workshops for the Writing Our Lives #EveryDayIWrite workshop with youth - with almost 50 kids. It was a fantastic time, and I love my knew computer table, as it helped to make a great studio for the interactive writing lab. I had my laptop, my Mic, my liquid refresher and a good background (although the sun was strong from the baby window, so part of my face looked like it was missing. 

#WeDoThat - At one point, a girl at the end discussed how much she wished there were more workshops like the ones we did and how much she enjoy the conference. I posted "We Do That" which I think could be a wonderful tag line. 

Seriously, when you get writers together: authors, scholars, thinkers, philosophers, etc. and they work with kids, it is always a successful story. Sadly, kids continue to report that is not what they are getting in school. I texted Marcelle Haddix later in the afternoon to say, "Phew. This is a win-win conference. Young people want to write, they are thrilled to gather in writing settings, and they love that adults invest in them."

It's that easy. 

Okay, speaking of writing, today is Sunday, rumor is it will be crappy weather, and I want to hit send on a couple of projects. I also received several new books in the mail to review - in fact, when I walked on the front porch I was like, "Holy Christmas, Batman." There were like 7 boxes of new material.

I love the work I do and that people trust me with their words. Now I have quite a week ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment