Friday, March 20, 2020

"Crandall is the Only Person Who Can Say “Sewing Up My Dog’s Squid” and Nobody Blinks an Eye." - Dave Wooley

There's truth to that. Last night, post-dinner, in a frenzy of texts between professional friends and colleagues catching up on the craziness of the day, I admitted I was at home sewing up Glamis the Wonder Dog's favorite squeaky toy. By that, I mean it is the only toy that has retained a squeaker for more than 20 minutes. We are on 4.5 months now, and she loves it.

Last night, however, in pre-bed, super-energy mode when Glamis sprints throughout the house with the Squid in her mouth, Edem noticed she had ripped some of the side. "Oh, no," I thought. "She can't know there's stuffing, either;  otherwise she'll destroy her favorite toy."

To her chagrin, I stole it and put it by my sewing kit.

This made her sad, as Edem and I have taken to playing squid handball with Glamis while she frantically has her energy fit each night.

The good news is that I succeeded. Last night, after much meditation, writing, and breathing (it was a rough day as the reality sets in) I went upstairs to begin the squid's operation. In Dave Wooley's words, "Crandall is the only person who can say “sewing up my dog’s squid” and nobody blinks an eye." But it was the truth.
It's hard to believe it's Friday and CT folk have been in quarantine for a week already. We are allowed out to grocery stores, and I also learned that the liquor stores are well stocked...I got a couple bottles of wine for the weekend.

Glamis continues to get walked every day, but I'm sure at some point she is going to begin nudging us out the door each morning saying, "Bitch. This is my house. Go out there and find your own things to do."

She has not, however, done this and seems to be okay allowing us 24/7 access to her two-floor home.

I have to say, though, the squid is looking rather  surgical and we might have to name it Squid-enstein. And if Glamis does finally get the squeaker out and we have to bury this lil' guy, I might start thinking about making Mary Elisabeth her new play toy.

Mary Elisabeth would like that very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment