Tuesday, March 10, 2020

It's Good to Have a Different Angle. I Feel No Shame. I Was Able to See All Weekend and That Counts Most

When you are in a panic, can't see, and people are tired of the complaining, someone always comes to the rescue. For me, that was Dr. Susan James, life-friend extraordinaire. Leaving from Laguardia on Thursday, I realized I left my glasses in the Hulk (the Subaru Crosstrek). As a result, I had to go 4 days without seeing anything close up.

Ah, Susan James had 4 pairs of glasses in her luggage (and she would have had Pringles, and Skittles, and Peanut Butter Cups, and Snickers, too, but the Texicana tempted her cravings and she ate them).

Anyway, although the glasses weren't my print or style, they were my lifesaver at the North Texas Teen Book Festival in Dallas, Texas. I can't even imagine what the weekend would have been like if she didn't step up (and) in with these frames.

It should be noted, too, that I don't only need them to see; I use them to pull my crazy hair out of my eyes. It's part of my schtick.

I used to wear glasses all the time, but Laser surgery fixed everything....that is, until a couple of years ago when my near-sightedness went to #$@#. I woke up one day and couldn't read my computer, books, receipts or mail. The doctor said, "It's inevitable, aging fart-boy. It will never get better and it can't be fixed."

Back to glasses I went (how Yoda of me).

Susan made me keep her glasses as a keepsake and reminder of our special weekend together with young adult authors, teachers, and kids. They will now reside with my other readers I have strategically located in all the right places (and I miss the Q. 4 Days with her had me all sorts of spoiled. Red-headed sunshine with every step I took).

My prescription glasses, and Susan's spare readers, save me.

And guess what? I can spend two more days reading more than I planned, because COVID-19 just took over a school district I was doing 2 days of professional development with...they need the time to put together an action plan as more and more cases present themselves. Mandatory district PD trumps CWP. That's actually good for me.

I love having two days mysteriously given back to me (especially on spring vacation). Better safe than sorry. I know exactly the books I'm going to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment