Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Power of Good Texts? Ah, When You Have a Zoom Session That Is Made Easier Because You've Chosen Well.

After the first Monday of online-learning lockdown, I thought my post was simply going to be that I've ZOOM-overdosed, and I can't possibly do another day of Judy-Jetson teaching. Eight meetings later (one class), here I am this morning getting ready for another round - this time with developing literate learners.

We are together and we are learning. It's just that the world has temporarily changed and it takes some adjustment. All went well, of course, but in the back of my mind I was conscious of the schools, families, and children who do not have the privileges of technology that is available for curricular assistance. That's where my mind is - thinking of them. Once again, I find myself moving forward with what is best for my students, but I'm also very conscious that equity has never been an educational priority across the United States. The haves, have the tools. The have-nots have dedicated teachers who love their students and are unsure how to best offer them a chance in this world. The conundrum is paramount at this time.

I am awaking this morning, though, grateful to Beers and Probst (2016) who have helped guide my developmental reading course this semester with their practical, useful, and pertinent Reading Nonfiction: Notice and Note Stances, Signposts, and Strategies. Their advice and strategies partner beautifully with K. Hinchman's and H.K. Sheridan-Thomas's Best Practices in Adolescent Literacy Instruction. I have thoroughly enjoyed the way the books, along with K. Gallagher's Readicide, talk with one another. They give me hope. And with ZOOM, there's still opportunities to do break-out groups and thought-processing where I needn't be a guy saying, "And I want you to know this, and I want you to know that, and this is what I think over here, etc. etc. etc"

Also giving me hope?

My choice of kittens and puppies as the background for slides as we work together again. The last time we met, I did activities where we read about the coronavirus (SPUTUM) with no intention it would be what it is today. I simply wanted to tap a modern phenomenon for nonfiction reading possibilities. Now, I realize I may be the world's worst Trigger instructor. We read for information then, now we are reading for survival. What a different two weeks make.

Tonight, I will touch base with another crew, move forward, and provide continued learning, despite the change in our environment.

Here's to everyone who has the strength to do for others and to persevere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment