Sunday, March 8, 2020

This Made My Trip to Texas...the Opportunity to be Reunited witth Mustapha Bility. Love this Guy

I'm flashing back to 2008 when I began working with Abu and Lossine, and soon got to know Mustapha. Fast forward several years, times in Syracuse, times in CT, many phone call conversations, and mentorship through Kelly Sassi, a National Writing Project Director, when he lived near Fargo, North Carolina.

Ah, now he is repairing windmills as an electrician all over Texas, Nevada, and California. Lucky for me he was stationed in driving distance, so he came to see me at the North Texas Teen Book Festival. He sort of slept in (like until 3 in the afternoon), so I didn't get to spend as much time with him as I wanted to. I had to attend other events with the conference.

Yet it was good to have a taste of home while in Dallas. He looks great, is doing great, and may be heading back to work in Syracuse very soon.

In the meantime, it is time for me to depart Dallas, and head back to NYC before driving to Mt. Pleasant. I'm ready for my own bed, but more importantly to think strategically about everything I gained at this festival under Rose Brock's guidance.

Phew! What an experience and wonderful time.

I definitely want back in again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment