Monday, March 16, 2020

Hoping for an Eggs-ellent Monday After a Turbulent Spring Break of Problem-Solving, Planning, and Adapting to Another World

Back to the egg-bake: mushrooms, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, and onions, all ready for quick grab-n-grow slices to put between bagels to kick off the day.

And lucky for me, there were two packages of bagels left at Big Y. No other breads, no cereals, no vegetables, no butter, no paper products, no cleaning products, and definitely no meat left in the store. I made the egg-bake before I went to restock for the week.

It's serious out there. Slim pickings, for sure.

And Hans, the kid who checked me out (who always checks me out) says, "I have no words for what we've been through in the last 72 hours. I can tell you, however, that we restocked all our shelves this morning - it's just that people came and bought everything."

This is for Hans. Actually, this is for anyone who gets paid little (I imagine) but who have to deal with the public good (and crazy) that comes with uncharted territory. I imagine he's thinking, "I just needed some extra money to pay for my community college classes, and this is what my life is?"

It is insane. Humans suck more than they've ever sucked before.

We need to take care of the Hans's out there. They are there for the everyday people, caught in the warranted hysteria that is upon us...one that could have been prevented if individuals paid respect to the scientific communities. This is not out of nowhere - they've been sharing the truth for some time now. And there are still many not thinking there's truth to the truth (posts on starting vacations and ignoring the warnings just blow my mind).

All I know is that I will strategically do my best to support teachers and students and parents over the next 8 weeks (and I imagine longer).

I hate that I have allergies. I hate that I have sinus issues. I hate that for the last 48 hours I've been coughing, sniffling, shivering, and sneezing, because I know it is par for the course, but heightened with the reality of right now.

I'm an optimist who loves to believe in hope. If I shut humans out of this equation, I know I'm much better off. At this point, I'm looking to the doctors, nurses, scholars, scientists, and researchers for information. The arm-chair experts and blow-hards....you are a thing of the past. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment