Tuesday, March 31, 2020

ZoOm, ZoOm, zOoM Let's Go Back to My Room, So We Can Conference All Night, & I Can Make It Alright

I guess it was the 80s when it used to be exciting to find ZOOM on PBS with kids entertaining kids. Who would have guessed that these kids would grow up to live behind the screen of ZOOM to justify their lives? To find human connection? To teach?

11 hours of ZOOM conferencing, one on one, achieved yesterday on Mt. Pleasant. It was 100% successful, I feel as I always do as an educator, and I continue to realize there is no learning outside a relationship...even if it is via Zoom.

Yesterday's dedication was no different than what I used to do with K-12 students. When the time came, I found work for the others to do so I could work one-on-one with the individual pursuits of every  scholar. They needed to talk through their ideas with me and I, as a coach, needed to guide them. I told many in-practice teachers yesterday that this is exactly what I used to do with seniors while teaching in Kentucky. It's just that I didn't have to do it from behind a screen. What is always great is having them begin their thinking with apprehension, but by the end of a conference they say things like, "This is exciting. I can't wait to work on this some more."

BOOM! That rhymes with Zoom!

I also conferenced from my upstairs desk, so I was able to see wonderful things outside my window, including the neighbor who paid a company to power wash his house. It was like a car-wash, but the house didn't move; I was impressed by all the Oompa Loompas doing their thing. So much foam...I almost thought of bringing Glamis over and tying her to the front porch. I'm also impressed by the shapes and sizes of people who have picked up running because of this home-stay. I want to open my window with a bullhorn and yell, "Go, You! Keep it up!"

I should say that I did have a break from 4 until 5 yesterday, and that is when I got outside for movement and fresh air. Other than that, I geeked out with my graduate students.

Today, it will be more of the same, other than I'm rooting for @SR_Toliver and her dissertation defense, and hoping to catch Detra Price and Matt de la Peña during an NCTE event. I have it on my calendar and will be wishing  all the best.

Okay, time to make the donuts (well, get more coffee)

No comments:

Post a Comment