Monday, January 13, 2020

A Writer, Wonderful Sun, Meat on the Grill, Groceries, NFL Football and a Really Good Bottle of Cabernet.

Not only did they run out of A Girl, A Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon by Karen Romano Young at yesterday's book signing in Bethel, Connecticut, but all the raccoon cookies were eaten before I got a chance to try one, too.

Drat! Spoiled again!

Ah, but so wonderful to be at an independent book seller, Byrd's books, with a writer who I have grown to admire since last summer. I witnessed, first hand, how her illustrations and creativity made a tremendous difference in the lives of 20 teachers who learned from her work.

Go, Karen Romano Young, Go!

In a matter of one presentation, my teachers went from writers to illustrators to doodlers to out-of-the-box thinkers to classroom change-agents. It was wonderful to witness.

Seeing Karen Romano Young was the highlight of my Sunday, although I had to leave crestfallen without a copy of the new book. In time, I know I will get one. Reading Raccoons are good friends with Philosophical Frogs.

And, the weather decided to offer me a wonderful run and the desire to grill out, so I sizzled a few steaks for Edem, me, and Aidas, the senior on the basketball team who traveled with Hoops4Hope to Zimbabwe in the summer of 2018.

Steak on the grill in January is extra special. So were the grilled vegetables. You'd think it was July.

But this morning we have a Monday, and although I worked all weekend on conference proposals, I now have to get back to syllabi and coursework.

Phew. 70 degrees and humor from the author, "I'm so happy you all braved the weather to join me in this book signing."

It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment