Friday, January 31, 2020

It's MLK Youth Leadership Day, @MarcelleHaddix. Another Celebration of the 10th Anniversary of Writing Our Lives

Seems like yesterday was 2009 and I was a frantic doctoral student wondering why I left the classroom in pursuit of another phase in my life. Lucky for me, I was mentored by Dr. Marcelle Haddix who came to Syracuse University to guide my light. I am still trying to make sense of scholarship, the privileges of higher education, and the reality of K-12 schools and American youth. She and I shared a passion for teaching writing and for promoting youth voices. We knew writing was the answer, and we set out to provide opportunities beyond school. We also set out to create transitional opportunities for writing within in-between spaces of in-school, state-mandated crazy, and out-of-school lives.

Writing Our Lives was born, and earlier this Fall we celebrated the 10th anniversary in Syracuse. It was beautiful, special, and motivating.

Truth is, however, such a movement has been with me since Kentucky, too, and this year, today, Writing Our Lives - Connecticut (the MLK tradition) will be in its 8th year.

Today, I host 80+ 8th graders from local schools as they come to campus to think about the legacy of MLK, but also what their responsibilities are as writers, movers, shakers and human beings. It will be a day of Kwame Alexander, Nic Stone, Jacqueline Woodson, Jerry Craft, Walter Dean Myers, and Jason Reynolds inspiration. The YA novels are lined up. The models are in place. It is The Challenge of Change: Writing Our Lives at the Intersection of Justice and Democracy.

The 2020 MLK Essay Contest Winners will be in the house and I can't wait to shout out to them once again!

But teachers will be there, too. I always love watching them see their students fall in love with writing processes.  A number of special guests are lined up and I can't wait to use the wisdom of Martin Luther King, Jr. with the excellence of young adult novels to prompt another generation to see personal  potential and ways to take action on their passions through putting pen to paper.

Yes, it's Friday, but I'm ending this work week with a bang and dedicating today's celebration to my mentor, my friend, my muse, and my spiritual guide, Marcelle. Today is for her. She won't be with us, but she's always with us.

If only all could be blessed by such an influence.

Last day of January, 2020. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment